CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
"Call for Pricing"

Let's have some discourse about the advantages vs. disadvantages of this marketing tactic/decision. It personally irritates me when businesses do this because I like quick answers. However, it can be a valuable marketing tactic for a number of reasons.

Reason #1 - It can give the impression of a premium product/service. The most expensive things never have the price listed. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Reason #2 - It gets potential leads/prospects to call the business. Once you are talking directly to the lead, its that much easier to explain your service and convert the lead to a sale (close the deal).

Reason #3 - It allows the business to maximize revenue by charging different rates to different clients.

Any thoughts??
Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: "Call for Pricing"

You said it in your first paragraph:

Rule #1: Anyone who deals with the internet on a regular basis (like myself) will get ****ed and won't show up at your gym even if it's free. People on the internet are there because they want their answers *now*.

I think it's more effective to use the "look, if you don't like the price, go somewhere else" strategy, and the "hey, it's not for everybody" mindset. Once people know you don't "need" them, they'll claw through walls to get to whatever you were offering.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

From a customer's perspective, I can tell you that it's very annoying. It's the kind of thing that, at best, can shift looking for a trainer to the bottom of my to-do list, and it may end up never happening. When I can see a price, I can put it into my mental processes immediately and start deciding what I want to do and what I can afford.

But then, I'm more of an internet person than some.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:

+1 for annoying.

I usually think "scam" and "stupid sales-drone" when I see "call for pricing".
Old 09-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Falkner View Post
+1 for annoying.

I usually think "scam" and "stupid sales-drone" when I see "call for pricing".
me too for some reason.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Tim Weaver

Profile:

If it says "call for pricing", I never do PRECISELY because I don't know if I am being scammed or given a different price from someone else. I expect that kind of tactic from used-car salesmen, but not elsewhere.

If I see the price and it's out of my range or don't believe there is a value to paying $X that someone wants for Y product/service, then I won't bother calling. To try and lure me into calling, only to be told a price I would have had no intention of paying wastes my time, your time and your other potential clients' time.

If you are confident in your product/service, then listing the price will not be a concern for you.

Besides, why would you even contemplate implementing a practice you yourself find abhorrent? If you don't believe in a particular business practice, then doing that action is hypocritical.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:

Here is a different perspective......We don't publish pricing AT ALL!! We do not offer pricing over the phone nor email.

99.9% of the marketplace is 'conditioned' with 'pop fitness'. They do not have any knowledge whatsoever regarding CrossFit. The average consumer has an image of a fitness club....machines, weights, group exercise and a monthly membership fee. Some clubs have more amenities....pool, sauna, hot tub, tennis, racquetball and a higher monthly membership fee. Most consumers choose based on their perception of what they will receive in return for their dollar. They all want to look like the pictures of the models they see in the magazines they purchase during the few weeks before they begin making the phone calls to 'shop price'.

That being said, if someone calls I and asks for price, I tell them we don't offer price over the phone. You have to walk in our door. We are not your typical fitness club. We offer everyone 1st week free, and during your first visit, you will either say, "Oh my gosh...THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LOOKING FOR!!" or you will run out screaming. When you arrive, we are happy to give you our rate sheet. No pressure...no tricky sales techniques.

I believe that if I publish a $150 unlimited membership fee, more consumers will eliminate us from their search, than those who object to us forcing them to walk in our door.

Those who choose to walk in our door immediately see that we are different.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
Here is a different perspective......We don't publish pricing AT ALL!! We do not offer pricing over the phone nor email.

99.9% of the marketplace is 'conditioned' with 'pop fitness'. They do not have any knowledge whatsoever regarding CrossFit. The average consumer has an image of a fitness club....machines, weights, group exercise and a monthly membership fee. Some clubs have more amenities....pool, sauna, hot tub, tennis, racquetball and a higher monthly membership fee. Most consumers choose based on their perception of what they will receive in return for their dollar. They all want to look like the pictures of the models they see in the magazines they purchase during the few weeks before they begin making the phone calls to 'shop price'.

That being said, if someone calls I and asks for price, I tell them we don't offer price over the phone. You have to walk in our door. We are not your typical fitness club. We offer everyone 1st week free, and during your first visit, you will either say, "Oh my gosh...THIS IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LOOKING FOR!!" or you will run out screaming. When you arrive, we are happy to give you our rate sheet. No pressure...no tricky sales techniques.

I believe that if I publish a $150 unlimited membership fee, more consumers will eliminate us from their search, than those who object to us forcing them to walk in our door.

Those who choose to walk in our door immediately see that we are different.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
that's a pretty good perspective.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:

I absolutely agree with Skip. People have no perspective or understanding of CrossFit. Giving them pricing on a website or over the phone does not put the price in the context of what they are actually receiving and they will judge it on a lack of information and preconceived notions.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Skip, that's a much better take on the pricing issue. It accomplishes exactly what Randy is trying to do, without ticking them off. I see plenty of places that not only don't offer pricing online, but they don't even mention it. Places like that I may get curious about if I'm interested in their product, and call, or visit.