CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
Another Crossfit is too dangerous article

I think this article is misinformed Clearly. However, I think it highlights the need for people to work with a Trainer when begining Crossfit and that the WOD is NOT the only component to training. Warm Up, Corrective/Rehab Excercise, Stretching are all very important and not included in the WOD. A total NEWB with no knowledge following the weights etc in the WOD would be asking for it.

Moderators Notes:

Article removed, replaced with link (thanks, George!)

http://www.ptonthenet.com/displayart...ArticleID=2931

Link requires membership, unfortunately . . . but that's good, since it means their ignorance and laziness won't be on display for the whole world, and that Personal Trainers using PT on the Net as their source of info will remain ignorant.

Last edited by David Wood : 09-19-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: deleted copyright violation.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
Re: Another Crossfit is too dangerous article

Incase you want to send the author an email

Jeff Thaxton is a Certified Personal Trainer by the American Council on Exercise. He earned a BS degree in Exercise Science at Eastern Washington University in 2001 and has continuing education certifications in human movement, advanced program design, nutrition for special populations, counselling for health and fitness professionals, overcoming fitness plateaus and others. He is the owner of an in home personal training business called Fit for Life, and he has volunteer experience in physical therapy clinics and cardiopulmonary units.

Moderators Notes: Author description (and available e-mail address) are at the publicly-accessible link above (wfs) . . . just follow the "send e-mail" link. I strongly request that anyone e-mailing him display intelligence and good humour, even if he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-20-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: unqualified link; deleted email address
Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I did CrossFit for 8 months before stepping into an affiliate, and I had focused on my self training and reading every forum and journal entry I could that with minor adjustments I was in the realm of really great form. If that person really wants to know about CrossFit they'd come to the website, not ask in an article. Magazines often use articles as such to rise up controversy.

Is that link to an email for that guy or you? The National Association for the Self-Employed (nase.org)? So great it is one guy's take on CrossFit. Motivated people will not be daunted by it.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Gee- I guess he missed the whole part about "SCALING" workouts.

Lame. Oh well.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

I sent him an email outlining the inaccuracies of his article, and asking him to update it to correct them. I'll see if he responds.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
David Aguasca

Profile:

crossfit is just a tool. a VERY powerful tool. powerful tools, when used incorrectly, are more dangerous than weak tools. learn to use the tool well, and you'll get work done more efficiently than those using weak tools.

you could use a hand saw to cut through a 2x4, but why not just learn to use a circular saw safely? you'll do it faster AND more accurately.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Brent Lucas

Profile:

Please do keep us updated.

If you don't get a response directly, maybe a few more of us politely emailing him will spur a reaction.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Mike Marin

Profile:

I don't know about the whole injury being a "badge of honor" as the author put it, but you gotta admit that meeting Pukie is almost a right of passage.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Anthony Marzolf

Profile:

Quote:
Speed is usually emphasized without proper form being taken into account.
Why do I always see this popping up? I have never, not even once, heard anyone here say "Don't worry about your form on those (deadlifts, squats, cleans, presses, pullups), etc.
Where does that come from?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
Tim Donahey

Profile:

His response is just a summary of the NY Times article... same examples, same quotes, same everything. Maybe if the "author" had some original ideas of his own it would be worth contesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Thaxton, Fit for Life
Another Crossfit workout titled “Three Bars of Death” involves a series of three barbell exercises done in succession with weights that are up to one and a half times heavier than the person using them. One lady, who strained her back doing the workout and was out of commission for a week, admitted to knowing the weights were too heavy but did not want to take the time to change the plates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Marie Musselman, The New York Times
Norma Loehr, 37, a vice president for a financial services company in New York, was sidelined for a week after she strained her back doing "Three Bars of Death," 10 sets of 3 lifts using barbells that weigh up to one and a half times as much as the person using them. She realized the barbells were too heavy, but she didn't want to waste the seconds it would have taken to change plates.
Did Jeff Taxton even do any research of Crossfit outside of googling up the Times article? What carelessness!

Here the link to the Times article for anyone who's interested (WFS): http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fa...+kbUZ0po8Lreww