CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
To those who train in Bujinkan, I'm looking for literature/videos that can help me when I'm alone.

I have an excellent group of teachers here in Boston, however I have alot of alone time, especially this summer as I'm living with my brother in South Dakota.

Also, while I did enjoy the last thread on bujinkan, please keep responses on topic.

-Mike
Old 05-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Rick West

Profile:
Michael: You might want to check www.winjutsu.com about training in SD. You never know where you might find a training group.
You didn't mention how long you have been training. If you have enough experience, you might want to start your won training group.
As far as books, videos and DVDs, your time will be better spent training. You will never get the feeling w/o proper training.
If it was me, I would look around for quality instruction in any art. To me, quality of instruction is more important than style.There is usually an Akido/Jujutsu dojo around,much of what they do is similar/applicaple. Sorry that this is not what you were looking for.

Ricisan

Ricisan
Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Michael Lynn

Profile:
The closest group is about 3 hours away, so while I'm going to make an effort to attend a class or two, I can't make the commute every day.

I'm 7th kyu, with 3 years consistent training followed by a 4 years hiatus, started again this past November.

1. What I'd like is something that will outline the names of the different techniques, as I feel incredibly lost whenever the Japanese comes up.

2. For next school year, my roomate and I train bujinkan together. We'd like to GTG, as it were, with bujinkan, so we'd like something we can follow.

I appreciate your help Mr. West.

-Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Go to www.jinenkan.com and order as many tapes as you have money for. Do the techniques as shown. Start with Gyokko Ryu, and maybe one of the Kenjutsu or Bojutsu schools.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
This is another good w/fs site: http://www.shinkentaijutsu.com/
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Kristopher Shelton

Profile:
Re: Bujinkan Practioners

While having the tapes is good, I think the way you approach your training is more important than what you have to train with.

You know how in class your shidoshi/shihan will demonstrate a Kihon or Sanchin technique and then go into variations (that's how my Shihan did it, anyway)? Try to approach your home training in the same vein. In other words, learn a technique off of the tape and try to find the Kihon in it. Find variations, different places you can go, what effects those differences have on your opponent- the same thing you'd do with the basics.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Bujinkan Practioners

A reliable guy I knew in Bujinkan is Dale Seago (out of San Francisco); maybe you could drop him a line and ask for suggestions. He'll show up in Google.