CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
Jason Ward

Profile:
I've been doing the "at home" version of Crossfit for a while. There's a new facility opening nearby, but they're charging $150/month for unlimited use. That seems pretty expensive. Just curious what other people are paying. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
That's a pretty standard rate for Crossfit only facilities. All the affiliates have their pricing on their websites so you can surf around and check them out, but you will find that to be pretty standard.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I do CF in my garage when the weather's good. I do CF at a local gym in the winter. I would never pay $150 per month to get fit. I'm sure the coaching and camraderie are top-notch and for those who can afford it, great, but $1800 per year buys a heckuva garage gym. I'll put the $150 per month into a Roth IRA.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
David Bennett

Profile:
$150 does seem about average. Some charge higher fees. While it may seem expensive, I think you get a lot for your money at the affiliates. On the other hand, you don't want to short your retirement savings or live on Ramen noodles either.

Have you considered going for a few months, and then re-evaluating if the you are better off at a gym or in spending the money to build your own garage gym? Even if you decide to build a garage gym, I think you'll find that spending 3-6 months taking classes 3x or more a week at an affiliate worth the price. You'll push yourself harder, make more gains, and learn better technique than going solo. You'll also get to try out some equipment before you buy.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Nothing for Crossfit, bless 'em. $60/month for a family membership at my local YMCA - they have 90% of the equipment I'll ever need for the WODs and I can substitute the rest.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
First, what is your level of commitment to your health and fitness? If it's not very high, the question is moot. You'll be wasting money because this won't be the program for you.

Second, how new are you to lifting? If you don't know what you're doing, a good CF affiliate will be invaluable and every dollar you've spent learning technique and the true meaning of intensity will have been well worth it. You're paying to educate yourself.

Third, what are your priorities? If you are an advanced lifter, joining an affiliate is not necessary, but it helps. Unless you have the focus of a world class athlete you WILL get a better workout at an affiliate. That's just the nature of training in a community setting. As Coach likes to say, "Men will die for points." He's right. Training with other will help you to push yourself. I'd bet that less than 1% of the population will get identical workouts and results on their own. SO, is that extra edge worth it for you?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I lift at home, and am slowly improving the quality of my home gym equipment. I can pay for a day-pass at the Y on days when I haven't enough weight to lift.

When CrossFit Fredericton opens its doors later this summer, they'll become my venue of choice for occasional instruction and form tune ups, and for when I need a dose of motivation that the website doesn't give. I suspect they'll have a day-pass kind of option too.

Such an option's pretty cheap, if you've got space for home equipment.

OTOH, an obese friend in another city's made a huge commitment to changing her life. She's forking out about $9k/year for a personal trainer and gym fees, as she's demonstrated to herself that relying solely on her own motivation has been bogus. After 8 months, the program's showing great results for her - and she's still doing it, 'cause she pays through the nose for it.

Health and a functional body is cheap at any price.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Some don't have the motivation to train in their homes or by themselves. Paying $150/month or whatever gives people the motive to get in the gym, gets them top notch instruction and less chance of injury= quicker and better results. This is certainly worth the cash.

www.NewJerseyCrossFit.com
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Jason Ward

Profile:
Thanks for all of the input so far. I'm definitely trying to weigh the costs/benefits. I have a huge YMCA 1/4 mile from my door, and I could buy 4 months there at the same cost of 1 month of Crossfit instruction. I'd definitely prefer the instruction, though. Too bad we can't just pay in sweat!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Look to see if they have a drop-in fee, Jason. CrossFit Sac does for 10$ which is a score as far as I'm concerned for using their bumpers and more expensive equipment.

Paying a higher than GloboGym fee is also the price for not feeling like a zombie and getting bored in them as I often here. I can waste 30 or 40 bucks a month and figure, no biggie. Try that with 120 and I'll smack myself.

Fortunately, I work as a gymnastics instructor and have access so long as I fit it in my schedule. I'm more apt to come in early than stay too late ( and rarely feel like working out after a day is done. ) We also have some weights here at the gym besides my living room gym ( which has a great beam for hanging rings though the housemates aren't going for it ).

Besides my other training and hobbies I have to pay for and the fact that I'm a cheap non social I haven't had a membership in years ( though before I gave up weights+gymnastics to just do gymnastics, I was a lot stronger ). I do however, like to stop in and work out with my friends from time to time but I'm fine on my own for the most part.