CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Peter Weiss

Profile:
To start off, I'm 6'2, 320lbs.

I'm out of shape and with the clothes off look like I'm wearing a suit made from lumpy oatmeal.

I'm about to start off with the paleolithic diet, high protein, and keep my caloric intake high on work out days, and low on rest days.

I'm planning on starting out with Crossfit training three days a week. Just as a primer to get me in to shape before I can start really intensifying my workouts through out the week.

My biggest question is what kind of impact will I see on muscle development (Growth, Density, Size and Mass)?

When I lifted weights, I seemed to be sprouting muscle mass more then shaping. Resulting in what looked like a solid wall of oatmeal. What are the typical results I can expect from muscle growth and shaping?

My next question is, since I'm doing the Paleo diet with X-fit, is there a math formula I can use to determine how many calories I burn during a X-fit training session? I'm curious because I want to monitor the amount of food I need to be eating for weight loss. And wanting to take in less the I'm burning, with proper high-protein nutrition.

I'm not afraid of hardwork, and lifting weights is so dang tedious, and monotonous. It's why I'm genuinely excited about X-fit as a whole. It's a way for me to stop making excuses, and saying someday I'll be in shape, and say today I will be.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Peter:

Simple, simple , simple. You are starting out by making it more complex than it needs to be. Go to www.brandxmartialarts.com and do the scaled version of the work-outs. Do 3 on 1 off. Start with the Zone diet. It's easier than Paleo. If you wish to transition to paleo, either Zone or not, you can always do it. Don't set the bar so high in the beginning that you can't stay the course. Following core Zone principles will have you shedding fat.

Stay in touch. Let us know how you are doing. Ask more questions. But start simple.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Paleo + xfit is a great way to lose the oatmeal, you are on the right track.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Peter Weiss

Profile:
Thanks for the response Darrell, I'm going to be joining a crossfit gym in my area pretty quick. So I'll have some guidance as far as scaling up my workouts and getting in to "fighting" shape.

I'm not expecting to be doing handstand push-ups any time soon. Lol.

I understand what you mean about keeping it simple, I'm just trying to keep a stable nutritional platform to work on with out much hassle. That's why the paleo seemed to stand out. Because on a rest day I'd just eat smaller portions and snack less, where on work out days I'd eat full portions, with a snack.

Is there a reason you suggested the Zone over the Paleo diet?

The reason I doubt my success the Zone, is because it seems to have a lot of restrictions on when, how, what, to eat. Or am I just wrong on the Zone?

I'm going to be doing a photo journal of sorts, every 2 weeks i'll take a picture of my self. I'd post it, but I don't want to cause psychological trauma.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Peter:

Eating Paleo for me would be harder than eating Zone. Most who post here who do eat Paleo seem to be eating within Zone guidelines for proportion and percentage, but using Paleo concepts in order to have the "cleanest" possible diet. Tough order for me. I've dropped quite a bit of BW fat and added lean muscle in 15 months of Zone and CF. Zone becomes a habit after a short time, and I have found it pretty easy to fit my Zone diet into a family of five that doesn't follow it. Read "Enter the Zone" with an eye towards how you would do it day to day.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Darrell makes an excellent point...The Zone handles quantity and proportions, paleo deals with quality. The paleo standard is pretty difficult to live up to, cut all grains, eat fruit in season, lean grass fed free roaming meat, etc. Most get great benefits from eating zone proportions, with an eye towards improving quality of food. The Zone still allows for the consumption of a cookie or piece of cake, fit into the larger scheme of your nutrition plan...it also allows for cheat meals, as a matter of fact 4 cheat meals within two weeks, still puts you at 90% compliance. Everyone should weigh and measure your food for the first month or three on the Zone. Not understanding the volume of your food intake is kind of like guessing at the weights you put on a bar. logging what you eat, or planning your meals a week in advance helps. The Glassman's prescribe the Zone (period). I really like paleo, but I can't make it work for me and my lifestyle. to me, the Zone is pretty easy to live with.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Hi Peter;
Have you read The Paleo Diet?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Peter Weiss

Profile:
@Larry

So it sounds like most people follow the zone in some form or function anyways, with a notion towards reducing toxicity in foods that the paleo prescribes towards nutritional health.

@Kevin

Yeah I've read the Paleo-diet, And I liked it's simplicity. Basically what I've taken from it is this...

Eat til your full (not glutonous), and eat foods that provide the appropriate nutrition. High proteins, minimizing the "bad" fat, while keeping up the "good" fat.

I'll have to look in to the zone though, especially if it's forming the foundation of even the paleo diet for some people.

Thanks for the responses guys, your help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

April first is D-day for me, so I'm trying to plot out a battle plan for success before I jump head first in to it.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Why wait, there is no time like the present.
As has been said before, the best results come from those who take the time to grow into crossfit. Do not jump in, but slide in. Less waves and a better transition.
Have fun, Johan
Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
It seems like most CF'ers follow the Zone, and with great success. If you can get into the blocks and aportioning your food that way, great. I think that some people would even enjoy that type of structure. I simply choose to eat only lean meats (fatty fish, beef, pork, poultry etc.) fruits and vegetables and I don't even think about quantities. If I get hungry between meals, which is very seldom, I reach for apples, pears, grapes etc. and I make sure that I have a good sized salad at every meal. I can't remember when I last hed a slice of bread or any of that stuff. The challenge is come up with new and interesting ways of cooking.

In a nutshell, Paleo is simple. Just eat lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Try the Zone if you need, want, or enjoy a more structured approach. Also, check out Fitday.com (w/f safe) if you want to periodically measure your calories and nutrients. Most of all, stay tuned to this board. Use it for advice and motivation. It works.