CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Eric Cohen

Profile:
I'm 17, 170lbs, been striving through PTSD for years. Last summer one of my friends who joined the corp got me into fitness (jogging, situps, pushups) and general stuff. After transforming myself it's the best I've ever felt, but I'm still not fit and up to my full potential. Then, stumbling over crossfit, thought it'd be a great test of willpower and would help me enjoy life to it's fullest.

I've read through most the articles on the main site and the first CF journal, but am in a predicament as I lack pretty much all of the necessary equipment. Was just curious as too how I could build a workout plan with the only equipment I have, arms and legs, and still achieve my goals.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Don King

Profile:
Eric,

Welcome to Crossfit. First thing, I don't think anyone who does Crossfit will tell you they have ever reached their full potential...what would be left if you reached that point?

The great thing about Crossfit is that you don't need any equipment to get started. Find a tree or any horizontal surface you can grab onto and start doing pullups, lots and lots of pullups. Next, find a heavy object, pick it up and start moving. Mix these together with handstand pushups, pushups, situps, air squats, jump rope, thrusters etc. Just keep it short and intense and your well on your way. Finally, hook up with fellow Crossfit enthusiasts in your area, as they would most likely share their equipment with you.

Good luck and happy Crossfitting,

Don
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Eric Cohen

Profile:
One other thing. I've always had this thing where air collects in most the joints in my body and whenever I move them around a lot they'll pop. My doctor said I shouldn't worry about it. In the long run, with strenuous activity, could it develop into anything critical?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Eric,

Hey I am new here too. I don't have access to all the equipment necessary since I am in an apartment for the time, I move into my new house in April, and will be building the garage gym at that point. Until then I have ordered Bodyweight Conditioning Mod 1 from Scrapper (trainforstrength.com). From what I read here on the boards and from his site, he is very crossfit oriented, and I think it's an excellent way to follow a CF style program without alot of equipment. Good luck. Keep me posted, I'm still figuring all this out myself!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Don King

Profile:
I don't know anything about the video for sale on trainforstrength.com other than the fact is costs $99. If I had $99 to burn I would choose a set of Elite Rings(www.ringtraining.com).
Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Lynne Pitts vouches for Wayne Fisher (Scrapper), and since he's an old bluejacket too, I'm gonna give it a shot since I don't have access to a gym right now (so no WOD for me yet)...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Eric Cohen

Profile:
Sorry for my delay in posting, I've been forced to move around the US multiple times in the past few weeks. I'm finally settled in Shadow Hills, CA. Since I'm not familiar with the area, I was wondering if there were any crossfit facilities within 20 miles.

I would hope to start the beginners workout program soon enough. I lack strength and lost quite a bit of mass from poor nutrition in the past few weeks, would like to get into shape immediately.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
Eric Cohen

Profile:
Managed to find a partner (my stepfather) to follow crossfit with me. He used to take martial arts and is in pretty decent shape (not CF shape), but he has a neck injury. Anything I should have him avoid or tell him to do to prevent further injury?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Mark Madonna

Profile:
Valley crossfit is in Van Nuys, CA
Check out there web site on the right side of the main page
Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Eric Cohen

Profile:
I'm saving up money right now for personal training at Valley CF.