CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #131
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Crossfit WOD 060328
15 Push Jerks, 95lbs
15 L Chinups
5 rounds for time

Anthony (BW=180)
Notes: subbed normal chinups
Time: 13:37

Jodi (BW=110)
Notes: subbed 65lbs push jerk and normal chinups
Time: 19:37

Overall
Ouch. I don't know what it is about high rep pressing and pulling, but it invites pukie to the doorstep every time. I actually got Jodi to retrieve a garbage bin ... luckily I didn't have to use it. Damn close though.

I was happy that this didn't flare up my tendons. Well, maybe it did, but I'm on 1200mg of ibuprofen right now. It was a bit awkward doing push jerk with a bad foot/calf. Not impossible, I just had to really pay attention to my movement.

I'm impressed with Jodi's push jerk ... considering she did 75x5 push press yesterday. I guess that PR will be broken soon! LOL.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #132
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Anthony - Out of curiosity, why do you do chinups rather than pullups?

-Jake
Old 03-29-2006, 03:37 AM   #133
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Jacob,

What's the diff? I know, I know, it depends your grip. To me, it doesn't matter if I do supinated, pronated, or neutral ... if my chin goes over the bar, it's a "chinup." :uhoh:
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #134
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
...things are weird in Canada.

I kid, I kid :biggrin:

In that case, what grip do you usually use? I've always thought of chinups as palms towards you and pullups as away from you... I don't know what you mean by supinated and pronated. I'm assuming neutral means palms inward.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #135
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Blame it on the snow! :wink:

I vary my grip between all three, although the majority of my chinups are done supinated (palms facing me). And yes, neutral is when palms face each other.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #136
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thursday, March 30, 2006

Crossfit WOD 060330
Max Effort Snatches 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

We both subbed one hand dumbbell snatches

Anthony (BW=180)
Left / Right
25x5 / 25x5
40x1 / 40x1
50x1 / 50x1
60x1 / 60x1
70x1 / 70x1
80x1 / 80x1
90x1 / 90x1
100x1 / 100x1 (PR for left side)
NA / 105xF

Jodi (BW=110)
10x3 / 10x3
20x1 / 20x1
25x1 / 25x1
30x1 / 30x1
35x1 / 35x1
40x1 / 40x1
45x1 / 45x1
50x1 / 50x1 (5lbs PR)

Overall
We haven't had time to practise BB Snatch, so we decided to go with one hand DB snatch. I felt pretty good, although near the end I could tell a difference in my power because of my calf. Oh well, it's feeling much better lately, so I'll be back to 100% soon. I'm very proud of Jodi's PR, they looked pretty damn sweet!

I'll be doing MMA tonight 7:30 to 9:30. I invited Steve to try it out and he's pretty excited. Also, Big Dan from the gym (275 off season, 250 on stage) does a lot of striking and he expressed interest today. I don't see him often because he trains at noon and I train after work. Anyway, no one comes close to his weight/strength, so it should be interesting!
Old 03-31-2006, 06:45 AM   #137
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thursday, March 30, 2006

MMA @ Kingswood (1 hour 45 min)
Warmup

Striking Drills
- jab/cross/leg kick
- front kick/leg kick
- chase with punches / take thai clinch and land a knee
- think that's it?

Sparring
Me (180) VS Matt (170ish?): I can't remember the first take down, but some how I took mount and rained bombs, forearms, and elbows for about 2 minutes. The first time we sparred he rolled me off mount like it was a joke. That played in my head over and over ever since and I vowed that I would not be rolled so easily this time. And it worked. I held mount for a full two minutes and dropped some serious ground and pound on him. He tried to roll, buck, etc, but I held my ground. After taking numerous shots, he rolled on his side and tried to escape, but I took his back. I went for his neck immediately, but he defended and I grabbed an arm looking for a kimura. He's got some gumby shoulders and I was at a bad angle, so I dropped it and tried to take the neck again. Wasn't happening, so I took out my hooks and swept out from under him so I could stand. At this point the timer called "2:30" ... ouch. Matt shoots, I stuff and bring him down. Gain mount and the GNP continues until we reach 5 minutes.

Me (180) VS Steve (200): Steve shot, I stuffed, took him down, gained mount, and delivered some more GNP. He tried to roll me, tried to buck me off, even tried to grab an arm. Wasn't happening and I continued to rain bombs. Since I wasn't having any problems landing punches or holding mount, I figured I'd try something different and went for an arm ... I got sloppy, lost position, and he rolled me. I tied him up well so he couldn't land any punches, and then went for a triangle. He rolled, I rolled, almost landed a straight arm bar, but he pulled out. He managed to get side mount, but I took guard pretty fast, rolled him, and finished the round with some good old fashioned ground and pound. My elbow was tore up from rub burn and I left a bloody mess every where. HAHA.

Overall
GREAT session. I was quite happy with how well I could hold mount and land shots. One of the other guys commented that if this had been a real fight, it would have ended early via strikes or cut. I just felt really strong and had good position. Made up for the last session.

Anyway, I've had a little bit of exposure lately that could help me in the long run. A friend from judo posts on an mma forum that is in contact with the Halifax promoters. One thing led to another and the promoters were sent pictures and a vid of my last judo competition. They were impressed with my fights and really liked my "look" but would prefer if I had an mma fight on my resume. Which is understandable, no hard feelings. I'll continue training and work on my standup and see what happens. So last night, Matt comes up to me after class and asks if I want to be in some promotion pictures. The promoters in Hfx wanted some shots of him so they can make posters for his fight, etc. I was flattered he asked me to be the "opponent," considering he's been training with the other guys a lot longer. Nothing special, just a stand off shot, muai thai knee shot, and a mount/strike shot. I don't have the pics, but I'll see what I can do.

:biggrin:
Old 03-31-2006, 05:11 PM   #138
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Friday, March 31, 2006

Crossfit WOD 060331
500m Row
15 Thrusters, 35lbs dumbbells (70 total)
15 Chinups
5 Rounds for time

Anthony (BW=180)
Notes: as rx'd
Time: 28:42

Jodi (BW=110)
Notes: subbed 20lbs dumbbels (40 total)
Time: 30:59

Overall
Blah. I should have been closer to 20 minutes, but I was taking too much rest. I suck.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #139
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Just got news that one of the fighters for the June event pulled out due to injury. Apparently the promoters were giving serious consideration to me as a replacement fighter, but I have that compartment syndrome surgery in May! ****!!!!! Oh well, my chance will come up soon. I have to look on the bright side ... this gives me more time to prepare and work on my standup. And now I have some serious motivation.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #140
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Quick update ... did some heavy sparring on Saturday with 4oz gloves and full contact. Pretty much got my *** kicked by a 205lbs varsity wrestler. lol. I have to learn to take some chances when he gains good position and starts punching instead of playing it safe. Also, I took a sharp elbow to the quad when I threw a knee ... ouch!

Also got a date for my surgery - May 8th. So the grappling tournament is out for sure.

I think I've been fighting off a cold as my endurance has been complete crap the past few days. Yesterday I did nothing and was tired all day. Not sure if I will do Diane tonight and I think I may take it very easy at mma. Show up and go through the motions, but little to no sparring. The tendons haven't really had time to heal properly and I feel like I'm playing catch up. So........

Since Crossfit's 3 on 1 off schedule repeats every 4 weeks, I've come up with the following plan.

I'm going to follow the 3 on 1 off with my middle day being 5x5, but I'll take every Sunday off.

I'm going to attend mma on Monday/Thursday, but not Saturday.

This works out to an average of 5 days training, 2 days rest each week. That's an extra rest day each week, which will probably do me some good.

And I need to stretch more.