CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #31
Nicholas Borek

Profile:
Re: Linear progression, stalling, and resetting

You'll also put on weight gradually and you will adapt easily to having it as your strength will be developing along side it. There really is no downside. Monkeying about and refusing to accept the reality of your situation is just a waste of time and resources.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #32
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
Oh, and being heavier does not make you fall faster. Just saying...
I'm going to call you out on this one. I have 1200 jumps and can ASSURE you that it does. Gravity is equal for all, but wind resistance and thus terminal velocity is not. A bigger man has a higher mass/frontal area and falls faster. I can change my own terminal fall rate quite dramatically with body position (from speeds below 100mph up to above 200mph. If what I'm saying weren't true, then parachutes wouldn't work in the first place, since we'd all continue to fall at the same rate.

One of the hardest skills in skydiving is learning to fall slower, while falling faster is relatively easy, and with experience it's fairly easy to judge how much weight to put in a belt when needed. I usually wear 14 lbs and a skin-tight suit. However, if I'm instructing a 110-lb female student I might need to go without weight and add a floppy suit to fall even slower. For someone who weighs 50 lbs more (unless they're VERY tall), it would be physically impossible to fall slow enough to safely instruct such a student. In such a male-dominated sport, you might imagine that it's hard to find someone like me who would be able to take that student.

As for the leap frogs, they are in a different discipline (CrEW, accuracy, and demos) where it's correct that size and weight is mostly irrelevant. For AFF instructors and relative work competitors, which is what I like to do, it's of critical importance.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #33
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Thank you to all who have given thoughtful responses, even those who may be saying something I don't want to hear.

While I have no intention of gaining 60 or even 30 lbs in the name of strength, I do see some value in adding perhaps 10 lbs and seeing what effect it has. That may not sound like much to many of you, but it would be quite a challenge for me (I don't like eating when I'm not hungry, and much of the reason I weigh what I do is I simply do not seem to get hungry as soon as others). For those who think I'm "anorexic teenager skinny," CF and lifting heavy has already added 15 lbs to my body's "natural" weight... I had above average energy and health even at 120, believe it or not.

I think what I need to do is reset and put an effort into getting my bodyweight up to 145-150 to eck out at little more from linear gains (hopefully add 15% or more to my lifts), and then start working on a periodized program... texas method, 5/3/1, or something of that nature.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #34
Michael Henry

Profile:

As you get heavier, the hunger will come
Old 04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I've been doing Westside programming for the past 2 months or so and have put on 5lbs (150 to 155lbs) while making substantial headway in my lifts.

I haven't done much as far as gorging myself, I've just added a little whole milk to my diet and eaten a little more each day. I don't feel hindered at all as far as bodyweight movements are concerned, and honestly, I don't FEEL 5lbs heavier. I can, however, tell I've gotten bigger by the way my clothes fit.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #36
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Tim-are you doing a full Westside Program or a Westside CF Blend?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #37
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Tim-are you doing a full Westside Program or a Westside CF Blend?
I can't call it full WS because a couple weeks ago I started doing a (one) metcon per week. Other than that, yes, I'm doing the ME and DE days with assistance work. I was afraid the metcon I did last week would hinder my squat performance this past Monday, but I still PR'd my back squat by 20lbs (in 3 weeks), and that's after a 20lbs PR 3 weeks prior.