CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Stephen Mannino

Profile:
United States Army physical readiness training: rationale and evaluation of the physi

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I found this to be interesting and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this program.

I believe the entire article is copyrighted so I have only included the abstract and cited the article. It is from the latest issue of the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (J Strength Cond Res 23(4): 1353–1362, 2009). I have the full article in PDF for those who are interested.

Knapik, JJ, Rieger,W, Palkoska, F, Van Camp, S, and Darakjy, S.
United States Army physical readiness training: rationale
and evaluation of the physical training doctrine. J Strength
Cond Res 23(4): 1353–1362, 2009—

This paper reviews the
rationale and evaluations of Physical Readiness Training (PRT),
the new U.S. Army physical training doctrine designed to
improve soldiers’ physical capability for military operations.
The purposes of PRT are to improve physical fitness, prevent
injuries, progressively train soldiers, and develop soldiers’ selfconfidence
and discipline. The PRT follows the principles of
progressive overload, regularity, specificity, precision, variety,
and balance. Specificity was achieved by examining the
standard list of military (warrior) tasks and determining 1) the
physical requirements, 2) the fitness components involved,
and 3) the training activities that most likely could improve
the military tasks. Injury-prevention features include reduced
running mileage, exercise variety (cross-training), and gradual,
progressive training. In 3 military field studies, the overall
adjusted risk of injury was 1.5–1.8 times higher in groups of
soldiers performing traditional military physical training programs
when compared with groups using a PRT program.
Scores on the Army Physical Fitness Test were similar or higher
in groups using PRT programs. In an 8-week laboratory study
comparing PRT with a weightlifting/running program, both
programs resulted in major improvements in militarily relevant
tasks (e.g., 3.2-km walk/run with 32-kg load, 400-m run with 18-
kg load, 5- to 30-second rushes to and from prone position, 80-
kg casualty drag, obstacle course). When compared with
traditional military physical training programs, PRT consistently
resulted in fewer injuries and in equal or greater improvements
in fitness and military task performance.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: United States Army physical readiness training: rationale and evaluation of the p

Info on PRT (WFS)

S
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: United States Army physical readiness training: rationale and evaluation of the p

Are you military? I ask because noone really uses PRT. PRT is the program initial entry soldiers are trained with in BCT for the most part, but I haven't seen anyoone utilize it on any regular basis outside of that environment.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...hysical-tr.pdf w/f safe

If you look at page 66, you can find the basic stages. I have seen the numbers on what the basic recruit must be able to perform before hitting Basic in the USMC and ARMY and most of it is pretty f'n simple. Ok, not most of it...all of it. These numbers are similar to what I remember seeing but I can't remember if they are exact. I think they are lower than what is required for the minimum PFT scores but close to ballpark.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

The requirements for even graduating most of the Basic trainging courses seem pretty easy.

Air Force basic graduating standards...

1-min pushups 45
1-min situps 50
1.5 mile run 11:57
No required pullups

Yet still I see people who cant accomplish this after 8 weeks of training. Its not that hard, and I still dont understand why people are afraid of PT, especially when we get paid to do it. I dislike lazy people....

I'm just sayin...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Sandra Lewis

Profile:

I realize this thread is two years old, but I'm doing research specifically on the PRT program and especially on any of the exercise science and rationale behind it. I'm wondering if the study mentioned by Stephen has details on that type of background to the Physical Readiness Training before I plunk down $49 for the journal article? I've seen some allusions to CrossFit as a basis for the program but so far found nothing that explicitly points to it. Any pointers to what I'm looking for would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

A few updates on this. The PRT is now implemented for all soldiers. I think that it is based off of more things than just crossfit. I believe some P90X has found its way in. I have never done it but some people tell that have done it tell me that it reminds them of P90X.

I will say this if they had implemented this before I found crossfit I would have been in better shape. I wouldnt say that it is better than FM 21-20, but nobody followed FM 21-20. What people fail to realize is that a lot of leaders that lead PT arent passionate about fitness and just do what they have always done. Which is APFT improvement.

With the PRT it allows leaders an easy and pretty effective way to lead PT for a large group. The reason why some of it seems pretty weak by crossfit standards is that most people that join the army is that a lot of them live sedentary lives. Much like most of our nation.

I think that it is a good program. I think that combat arms soldiers need supplement the PRT with a strength program, beyond what it prescribes. As a program for the whole Army it is better than FM 21-20 because since it is regulation so you cant really stray from it. Whether that happens or not is another question.