CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Question for CrossFit LEOs

First of all, thanks for what all of you do!
I am trying to get some feedback on all Taser products, but in particular
the C2 model.
We are considering it for home defense purposes.
I didn't really find much on a CF search on this so I'll just ask those of you who are in the best position to know the "real deal".
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: Question for CrossFit LEOs

I am no longer a LEO , but I was for seven years in New Orleans and five years was spent on the SWAT team, so I have used the taser many times. We used to carry the X26 model which was great for what we did. I personally would not recommend a taser as a home defense weapon. To much can go wrong . We were trained extensively with them in SWAT school and a seminar with Taser Int. and we still had the occasional mishap. Namely missing with one of the leads which , if that happens, renders it useless unless you get close enough to drive stun the person. If you are looking for home security I suggest something that goes boom. Like I tell people , if someone is breaking in all they have to hear is a bang and they aren't sticking around to see where it came from. You can shoot into the ground and that will scare 99.9% of intruders away. You have to get in to a close proximity of the attacker for the Taser to be effective, and if you miss you are S.O.L. I have also dealt with several people that have been able to fight through the taser and actually rip the leads out of themselves and keep fighting. We had one Swat roll where as the subject was being tazed he was able to reach into his pocket, take a gun out and get a shot off. They are great as a secondary weapon but I wouldn't rely on them for overall protection.

Last edited by Joe Waguespack : 01-16-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the feedback.
My first thought was a weapon, then the Taser idea came up.
Just thought I'd ask those who've used them.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DiMeo View Post
Thanks Joe, I appreciate the feedback.
My first thought was a weapon, then the Taser idea came up.
Just thought I'd ask those who've used them.
Yeah, I would go with a firearm. Revolvers are good for home defense due to ease of use and very little chance of a malfunction.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Jason Tanner

Profile:

How about a 50 cal. sniper. OH YEAH!!!!! Even though those things are completely illegal. Of course I hope you know I'm being sarcastic.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

I like the humor! Back in the old days it might have been Claymores, Concetina wire, etc.
All kidding aside, though, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DiMeo View Post
I like the humor! Back in the old days it might have been Claymores, Concetina wire, etc.
All kidding aside, though, I appreciate the feedback.
Throw in an electric fence and an acid filled moat and you MIGHT feel safe in New Orleans.LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Matt Thacker

Profile:

IMHO,

If you are knowingly going into a gunfight, bring a shotgun. A pump action shotgun such as a Mossenburg 500 series may be the best way to go for self defense in a home. Pistols are great for portabilty and concealment but these are items that dont concern you in a home. Further, a shotgun is cheaper and more easy legally to buy. The very sound of a shell being loaded into the chamber of a pump shotgun will scare away durn near everybody. Lastly, a pump shotgun is very easy to operate and you are not at all likely to miss when you pull the trigger AND your target is most likely to be stopped instantly.

Good luck and stay safe,

Matt
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

That will probably be the best choice, thanks!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thacker View Post
IMHO,
The very sound of a shell being loaded into the chamber of a pump shotgun will scare away durn near everybody.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard or read this, I'd be retired long ago.

Quote:
Lastly, a pump shotgun is very easy to operate and you are not at all likely to miss when you pull the trigger AND your target is most likely to be stopped instantly.
Not necessarily. It's easy for the untrained/less-trained to short-stroke a pump gun, leaving them SOL if they don't know how to remedy that situation.

Next, at CQB distance, and that's what we're talking about since I don't know anyone who carries a shotgun with them to the mall, the shot hasn't had a chance to expand. It's very easy to miss close up...the whole "aim it down the hallway and anyone there is dead" types of thinking will get you killed.

Figure 5-10 yards (or more) before the shot pattern starts to disperse, and that's also dependent on what type of choke you have in the weapon.

Now, if you DO hit your target then, yes, there is a significant likelyhood that the bad guy will go down...but it's also dependent on whether it's a CNS shot. I've read reports of guys getting nailed with several rounds of 00 buck and continuing the fight because their body just didn't know it was dead yet.

When it comes to firearms there are no magic bullets, pardon the pun. It takes time and training to be effective. If you're going to own a gun, you owe it to yourself and society to become adequately trained.

Now, to the Taser, the big difference is that the C2 is the consumer model, and X26 (referenced above) the law enforcement model. Basically, with the C2, you hit them, set it down, and run away. You cannot manually shock someone...it's all automatic. The cycle time is longer to allow the user to get away, like 30 seconds I believe, so you better be quick.

There is a place for a consumer Taser, like for someone who cannot stand the idea they might have to severely injure or kill someone to stop an attack. This might help. It might not. But it's only a temporary incapacitator, like OC is.