CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:
Re: Another Crossfit is too dangerous article

Nice catch. I wonder if that constitutes plagiarism?

Last edited by David Wood : 09-19-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Thomas Powers View Post
I think this article is misinformed Clearly. However, I think it highlights the need for people to work with a Trainer when begining Crossfit and that the WOD is NOT the only component to training. Warm Up, Corrective/Rehab Excercise, Stretching are all very important and not included in the WOD. A total NEWB with no knowledge following the weights etc in the WOD would be asking for it.
do you have a link to the original article of which you are quoting?

Last edited by David Wood : 09-19-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Removed article content
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
David Wood

Profile:

Actually, Jonathan, I'm going to ask for the same thing.

Do you have a link / source? The odds are that your reproduction of the entire article is probably a violation of copyright, and I'm going to remove it in a few hours if you can't respond. Note that it *is* legitimate to quote selected sections of the article for review and discussion purposes, but not the whole article in its entirety.

(Having been stolen from multiple times, we take copyright protection quite seriously, and try not to violate it ourselves).

If you found it on a publicly available web-based source, please just provide the link. However, if the source is "protected" by membership privileges, then our displeasure with his inaccuracies (and laziness) still doesn't give us the right to publicize it.

Similarly with the author's email address. If he published it in a public setting, then we have the right to reproduce it here . . . but without confirmation of that, I've deleted it from your posting above.

Finally, I'd urge people not to get their shorts in a bunch over (yet another) piece of misguided foolishness. He probably thinks he's "protecting the innocent", and I ask anyone who does write to him to please grant him more respect than he deserves . . . he may yet come to understand, but an out-and-out attack isn't likely to bring that about.

Jonathan, please post your source as soon as possible.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #14
Tim Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Thomas Powers View Post
He is the owner of an in home personal training business called Fit for Life....
One need look no further than this for the reason for his article.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #15
John Maloney

Profile:

It's fairly obvious he hasn't looked into it or the community. I guess he thought a google search & summarizing the NYT article would be enough hard work for the afternoon.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm assuming the quotes in the article from Coach Glassman (in the NY Times article) are accurate.

I kind of find the notion of failling off the rings and breaking my neck daunting. I guess that makes me a wuss. But then again, having already had surgery once on my cervical vertebrae, I don't relish the idea of doing it again.

I believe in dancing carefully on the line of high intensity. You can't make significant gains in fitness without pushing your own limits, but at higher intensities, the zone of where constructive ends and destructive begins is narrower than when a more moderate approach is taken.

Break things down, they come back stronger, as long as we stay in the zone where recovery can keep pace with the demands we place on our bodies.

Probably, there should be at least as many discussions related to the role of recovery and rest as there are to PRs and pukies.

I know adrenaline junkies don't like to stop and think about moderation and recovery. Neither do coke addicts. But rest and recovery prescriptions are as important to an athlete's development as effort and intensity. (FWIW, I'm one of those junkies. That's why I've spent most of my career working in psychiatric emergency services, both in the ER and in the community alongside the police.)

I'm glad I didn't discover Crossfit until I was 52. If I'd caught the bug in my callow youth, I might've killed myself.

Susie
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
I'm glad I didn't discover Crossfit until I was 52. If I'd caught the bug in my callow youth, I might've killed myself.

Susie
Or you would be the biggest badass 52 year old ever.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Or you would be the biggest badass 52 year old ever.
Heh. I'm working on becoming the biggest badass 53 year old ever.

Susie
Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Jonathan Thomas Powers

Profile:

Paraphrased the article because I'm not trying to break any rules or anything You cant say this site doesn't stay on top of the rules.

"Beginners should definitely not attempt one of these workouts. They need to start gradually with exercise and follow sound training programs to build their fitness and strength levels gradually."

"Two other problems exist with the Crossfit philosophy. First, no differentiation is made in the workouts for different types of exercises. Senior citizens are supposed to do the same workouts as elite gymnasts...."

"The second contraindication to Crossfit is the rebellious nature of most Crossfit participants. Injuries are viewed as badges of honor...."

"If any previous injuries exist, certain exercises should be avoided. For example, a shoulder injury means some should not perform an overhead press, and a previous back injury means you should not be doing power cleans. Crossfit does not take this into account."

Some Crossfit exercises by themselves can yield positive benefits, but I would not recommend following one of their workout routines. Form is more important than speed.

Last edited by Jonathan Thomas Powers : 09-19-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
George Mounce

Profile:

http://www.ptonthenet.com/displayart...ArticleID=2931

You have to be a member to view article (wfs that link is) but here is a link at least.

So I think the article should be taken down as you have to be a member according to the