CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Sergio Cardenas

Profile:
Potential Partnership with the City

I run a small garage gym currently and I am running out of room and It is currently 115-120 out here in the desert. Needless to say that attendance has dropped just due to the heat alone. My goal is to affiliate hopefully by the end of this year. I was recently offered a building with one of the local Cities. I was wondering if any of you have heard or have done this before? So here's the scheme, I would put on classes (times set by me), I would carry my own insurance. The fees would be 15% of total membership. All utilities are included. So from the outside looking in if you were the customer it could appear that the classes were offered by the city's parks & rec dept. We would have access to the city's pool which is right next door, and a football/soccer field which would be behind the building we would be renting. Now, I would like to know if there are any tips, recommendations that any of you might think are important to know. Have any of you ran a CF affiliate out of a rec center in the past? Obviously I would be doing this to spread the word and raise money for affiliation and equipment and grow as needed. Thanks in advance for your comments/advice.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Potential Partnership with the City

We rented space from a city owned facility for a while when we first started. Ended up working out very poorly. The city decided that they didn't want the liability of having a commercial fitness program in a city owned buildling. Even though we carried our own insurance they feared that any lawsuits would go for the deep pockets (the city). While their logic was sound (from a protect the city and not worry about providing service perspective), the way that it was handled was terribly. They gave us 8 days notice to vacate, and my only recourse would have been to sue the city, which was not a path we really wanted to take. My core group stayed with us as we searched for a new location, but we lost a LOT of people that weren't fully in yet. Set the business back at least a year.

Not to say that your experience will be equally bad, but understand that the city does not operate under the same behavior as a business would. They will violate contracts if they feel it is in their best interest to do so.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Sergio Cardenas

Profile:
Re: Potential Partnership with the City

Copy that Roger. I'm in the process of a applying for a grant that would solve all(most financial obstacles) the issues and absorb 100% of the risk in starting a business. I really hope this turns out well. If not, then I guess it's back to the drawing board and maybe back to the garage! Thanks for your input Roger. I will keep an eye out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
We rented space from a city owned facility for a while when we first started. Ended up working out very poorly. The city decided that they didn't want the liability of having a commercial fitness program in a city owned buildling. Even though we carried our own insurance they feared that any lawsuits would go for the deep pockets (the city). While their logic was sound (from a protect the city and not worry about providing service perspective), the way that it was handled was terribly. They gave us 8 days notice to vacate, and my only recourse would have been to sue the city, which was not a path we really wanted to take. My core group stayed with us as we searched for a new location, but we lost a LOT of people that weren't fully in yet. Set the business back at least a year.

Not to say that your experience will be equally bad, but understand that the city does not operate under the same behavior as a business would. They will violate contracts if they feel it is in their best interest to do so.