CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Jaime Delgado

Profile:
IM GETTING READY FOR THE FIRE ACADEMY, CROSSFIT HAS BEEN AWESOME FOR ME i HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR 9 MONTHS WITH INCREDIBLE RESULTS... BUT MY RUNS HAVE SUFFERED GREATLY, I DONT RUN AS FAST (MORE MUSCLE) BUT STILL HAVE GAS IN THE TANK LEFT. MY AGILITY SCORES ARE GREAT BUT i DONT THINK IM READY FOR THE 5+ MILE RUNS IN THE (LAFD) ACADEMY... AND iM FINALLY SUPPLEMENTING LONG RUNS + INERTVALS AS A RESULT iM GETTING CLOSER TO MY START DATE GUESS IT WAS MY MISTAKE.. I WAS ONLY DOING CROSSFIT TO PREPARE. ANY FIREMAN HAVE SOME ADVISE????
Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Chris Mayo

Profile:
Not a fireman here, but military. I've found the strength gains more important in my job because in most things you're rarely going to run in shorts and tennis shoes in your job. My speed in sprints and my ability to run with a load or in boots and uniform has greatly increased thanks to CF, as well as my ability to carry/push stuff. Although like you I still have to be able to run for a pt test or try some light triathlons or obstacle course competitions every now and then, and I found making up my own crossfit schedule works the best. I still hit the cf workouts (especially the ones that have any kind of running in them) 3 or 4 days a week, but also include one or two days of just running or swimming, and still have about 2 days off a week (usually the weekend). How long are you needing to run? I think everybody on here tailors it for themselves and their goals. There is a post in the "Starting" section titled "A Good Balance". Read it and see if it helps you at all.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Barney Ring

Profile:
First question, Do you have to meet a time standard for the run? If it is a military group style run, you will be fine if you can run 5 miles that is.

If you have to meet a time standard, practice the distance on the days LSD workouts come up i.e.: 10k, 5k. or add a weekly training run to your schedule.

I've been a fireman for 9 years and I have never had to run further than 1000 ft to any fire. Crossfit fills all my fitness needs.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
I'm a fireman in the Marine Corps, Every several months or so I have to drop some of strength workouts and begin doing more sprints and long distance runs to prepare for our fitness test. I dont like it as much, but coming in first is always nice...
To train for the 3 mile run we're tested on i alternate a sprint workout, a very fast one mile, a two mile just a bit faster than my three mile pace, and a four mile workout carrying or dragging weights. i try to catch pukie on the four mile wokout. This is spread out over a week and a half or so, and is sprinkled with CF workouts.
By the time I'm on the line to run the PFT I aim to run it at my two mile pace. Last time I did it I shaved three minutes off my time and ran it in 18:59. not at all perfect, but still first place. :-) You just have to mix it up

Old 05-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
"You just have to mix it up."

Mixing it up is the key as John stated. Keep your body conditioned for every scenario. Running, jumping pulling, dragging, crawling,lifting and pushing. I train through CF for just such contigencies as it keeps me in shape for my firefighter duties. You will not lose much strength just because you increase your running a bit. You don't even have to hit 5 miles on a regular basis as long as you hit it several times prior to your exam. It's more important to build a base first. As long as you stay light through proper dieting and protien intake you will do fine in your running. A good training routine can also come from speed rope exercises every now and then for good overall variety through cardio. I am also an avid runner with a marathon background and I can assurre you that my overall strength has not suffered because of it.

Semper Fi John. I was at Parris Island last September. Lovely area as long as you stay out of the low country...LOL.:happy:
Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Jamie,

the mistake is the LAFD fire academie's for thinking that being able to run 5 miles will help you throw a 35 ft ladder, handle a 2 1/2" hose line, wrestle a crackhead to the ground (during an EMS call), smash in a door with an axe or sledge, drag a 250# person and/or FFer to safety, lift heavy people onto gurneys, or any other of the myriad tasks needed to be dine by FFers every shift.

If the LAFD wants you to run, you'll have to do it, but once the academy is over, you'd benefit most by a return to CF protocols. You're strong enough to make it thru the academy, so just add enough running so you can get thru the academy.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Neal Dickey

Profile:
Jaime,

I'm currently in LA City's drilltower.

You will not be running five miles. Stick with Crossfit and you'll be just fine.

Drop a line if you have any specific questions.

Neal
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
Im two year crossfit devotee, and I have my LAFD oral board at the end of this month. I know its not fitness related, but does anyone that has been through it have any advice?