CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Brian Zeh

Profile:
Hey guys, I'm new to crossfit like many others on this forum. I've been an avid "weightlifter" for about 12 years, and I like to mix in a fair amount of cardiovascular work into my weekly routines as well. A friend of mine turned me onto this website, and ever since, there's been no turning back. I am humbled daily by these brutal workouts and will surely never go back to my old ways. To think that I used to consider myself as "in shape" is laughable these days.

I'm really enjoying these workouts for multiple reasons, but honestly, my lifestlye is improving dramatically due to the efficient manner in which we exercise. I'm a busy medical resident working about 80 hours a week, and there was no time for me to be doing 2 hours lifting routines. Crossfit has been just what I needed, and I'm honestly excited to see where this takes me. I look forward to being a part of this community of dedicated indivuals. Thanks so much.

Brian
6'2" 225lbs
Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Hi Brian - three weeks in for me too. I'm seeing some results already. I have obliques! I've never seen these muscles in my lift...they were always hidden under a layer of fat. I'm not ripped by any means but my shape is definitely changing.
Too soon to tell what my strength and stamina changes are, at this point.
But like you I will stick with this - I like waking up and going to my PC to find out the day's workout. It's like opening an Advent Calendar, only better (or more painful!)
Old 04-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Richard Bird

Profile:
Hey gents - 4 weeks in myself, and the same kind of "revelations" are what have me tearing my garage apart and installing my own gear.

The coolest moment for me so far was struggling through hang power snatches. I felt like I was going to die trying to throw 70 lbs up 21 times - in the first round. I made it through, then struggled even more on the next round. Finally, in the 3rd round, I'm about 5 snatches in - and all the sudden I just "popped". I shot up in the air and thought I was going to throw the whole bar to the ceiling. It was a eureka moment - when my thrashing around with this weight moved to pulling the bar with the right form.

Same thing for me - muscles I didn't know I had, and most importantly not a single pinch or ache in my right rotator cuff - which seems to be getting stronger with every WOD....
Old 04-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Brian Zeh

Profile:
Richard, I definitely agree with you on that exercise. Actually, that entire workout was killing me.

I had to chuckle a little as I was carrying the olympic bar across the gym over to the rowing machine, in the "no weightlifting zone". I got some pretty strange looks. Those looks got even stranger when I started making those primal noises as I was digging my way through those last couple of sets. What can I say? Crossfit has been bringing it out of me.

We have certainly stumbled onto something good people. Keep up the strong work.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Brian,Richard, & Cal--
Welcome to CrossFit!Glad you're all discovering the "fun" of doing CrossFit WODs.
Keep up the good work!