CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-18-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Question for any Academy Instructors: I'm interested in transitioning Academy Training to a Crossfit workout program. I need to change my Departments antiquated training methods to a more functional, useful conditioning program. Recruits would still have to pass a Cooper Standard Test, but I feel the Crossfit method better prepares them functionally. Anyone with any info. on where to have new applicants begin training and at what level they should be at before graduating would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Hi. just completed a 12 week academy during which i modified WOD's to meet the needs of 20 fire academy recruits training in the a.m. prior to classes. it was a great success and, actually, quite a few of the WOD's actually work really well. given that most everything had to be bodyweight only there was a marked increase in fitness in the low end of the group with the more fit guys enjoying the challenging start to the day. also, our PFT, comprised of 5x up and down the 3.5 storey tower for time, pushups x 1mn, situps x 1mn and squats x 1 mn all saw an increase in numbers over the 12 weeks. additionally, a 4 mile group run was possible at the end. i only threw these in every other week. firefighters are not distance runners and we don't need to train that way. card pt was an essential component as well, and i had everyone buy a jumprope. group ropes were pretty amusing initially but everyone jumped rope at the end. so, crossfit it.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Hey Paul,

Have you seen the Crossfit North fitness standards? It might help you.

There are tons of posts about this, search on it you want to learn more.

Here is the link to their PDF (safe/safe)

http://www.crossfitnorth.com/article..._Standards.pdf

BR
Old 01-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Andrew Cooper

Profile:
Look into crossfit PArker Fire. They use crossfit as the academy.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
Pat Harker

Profile:
If you'll look at the main page under "Friends of CrossFit", Colorado State Patrol.

It will direct you to their website. (W&F Safe by the way) Go to Careers; then Basic Training; then Fitness. Go to the bottom portion of that page and they have a 4 week schedule for their Cadets. And a basic schedule.

Myself and some other Tulsa Police Officers are trying to incorporate this into our Police Academy instead of the BB style of workouts that are so prevalent.

Most LEO's use some type of Cooper Standards Testing for their Cadets.

Hope this information helps.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Thanks for the good info.; hopefully, I can convince my employer to phase in more practical/functional activities; can't wait for Ann Arbor in April.