CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Specifically offering a Lean Muscle Gain focused class

In process of preparing a business plan for a possible Affiliate.

Some initial market research is showing a surprising demand for lean gain services, mainly with the Asian population we have some inroad into.

From a programming point of view, something like the high volume Starting Strength, or 5x5, with perhaps 2 MetCons and some skill work thrown in each week, and some tight nutrition component with even some cutting cycling.

I have yet to notice any of the dozen Affiliates I track specifically offering lean muscle gain services in their advertising.

Anyone know of an Affiliate that offers this specifically? If not, why not?

Sean
Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Specifically offering a Lean Muscle Gain focused class

Bump Bump
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

What gets offered here in the US are barbell classes or teams. Focused on weight lifting or power lifting. Something as simple as CrossFit Football will accomplish the lean muscle mass goal.

I think the danger is confusing people more then anything. One solution can be to basically run multiple gyms under one roof. A CrossFit Affiliate, a weightlifting team, a power lifting team, a bodybuilding program. All coached programs where members are paying for the coaching.

I have been thinking about it for my next gym. I would name the gym something like:

Tempe Strength & Conditioning, home of
CrossFit South Tempe
Solar Devils Weightlifting
Cactus Power lifting
Arizona Bodybuilding
Desert Strongman

Each would have its own website, head coach, membership and class offerings. You would have to have enough space/equipment laid out correctly but there would be big cost saving over running four different gyms in 4 different buildings. This would also give your members the ability to pursue which ever program they would like without having to leave your gym.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Appreciate the reply Brendan,

I like the thinking, and it certainly mass customizes the CF business model. I'll bring it up at our next strategy meeting.

I'd be interested in your further thoughts.

What I find interesting, is a good starting strength program can cause a newbie lean gain, that is sufficient for most peoples goals. But the 2 dozen programming blogs I follow, never mention is, not the couple of hundred competitor websites I monitor.

I'm surprised that it isn't common to see lean gain as a benefit statement on ANY CF website, that I know of. Obviously it requires the standard priviso that woman wont bulk, kinda thing.

Any thoughts.

We're about to affiliate (still just a couple dozen friends in a garage), but as a marketing guy myself, I'm looking at our FAB Matrix and marketing mix, and obviously communicating our value units via our website adequately is important, and wondering why I never see lean gain, as a value statement, when there is clearly a market sector (non bodybuilding) that wants to get 10-20 lbs bigger. Not a big ask, and not difficult to program for during regular classes.

Sean
Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

In the area of my gym and most of the US weight loss is by far the #1 reason for joining a CrossFit gym.

Members say they want to get in shape but in thier heads they are thinking loose x# of pounds not increase back squat or decrease their 400m run time.

The population you describe is different then the majority of CrossFitters. You have a group that is for the most part not carrying a lot of body fat but is under muscled. You may want to market to that group. More barbell work, more sets in the 8-12 rep range and the nutrition will be slanted towards surplus clean calories. Something as simple as a "Samurai Club" inside a normal CrossFit gym could do it. Maybe you put it on your website but I would bet word of mouth in the community would do it.

The great thing about people loosing body fat or gaining muscle is it shows. When I intentional added #20 pounds of lean muscle (I was an under muscled runner before) everyone in my life commented.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Thanks Brendan for your thoughts.

PM inbound.

Cheers

Sean