CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Daniel O'Brien

Profile:
Part-time coach pay

Been searching and most the threads I am coming up with are older threads.

Would any affiliates care to share what they are paying their part time coaches? Do you use a tiered system at all? flat rate? Any Con-Ed reimbursement? If you wouldn't mind sharing your affiliate size that would be of great use as well!

Thanks fellow Affiliates
Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:
Re: Part-time coach pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O'Brien View Post
Been searching and most the threads I am coming up with are older threads.

Would any affiliates care to share what they are paying their part time coaches? Do you use a tiered system at all? flat rate? Any Con-Ed reimbursement? If you wouldn't mind sharing your affiliate size that would be of great use as well!

Thanks fellow Affiliates
Hi Daniel,
I'm not an affiliate yet (should have our approval soon, I hope!)
that's a great question! I too would like to know what others are paying or what their structure is. Are the coaches employee's or independent contractors? Are they experienced and certified already? Is there a training/mentor program?
The affiliate that I currently coach at has several part time coaches and all are paid a flat rate per class taught. They recently announced that they would be willing to contribute a certain amount toward continuing education expenses. I believe its on a case by case basis.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Adam Morden

Profile:

for us, coach pay depends on experience and education. pay will also vary by region. typically we pay between 18-30/session plus full benefits for those who work more than 20 hours a week.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Daniel O'Brien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Parkhurst View Post
Hi Daniel,
I'm not an affiliate yet (should have our approval soon, I hope!)
that's a great question! I too would like to know what others are paying or what their structure is. Are the coaches employee's or independent contractors? Are they experienced and certified already? Is there a training/mentor program?
The affiliate that I currently coach at has several part time coaches and all are paid a flat rate per class taught. They recently announced that they would be willing to contribute a certain amount toward continuing education expenses. I believe its on a case by case basis.
Mind sharing what that rate is? You can PM me if you would like to keep it private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Morden View Post
for us, coach pay depends on experience and education. pay will also vary by region. typically we pay between 18-30/session plus full benefits for those who work more than 20 hours a week.
Awesome, thank you for this!
Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
Brian McCue

Profile:

Here's some good info from the 321 Go Project's site:

Paying Coaches: The Stepwise Model
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Daniel O'Brien

Profile:

Thank you Brian! Headed to read that now
Old 01-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Steinar

Profile:

Hey Daniel,

To begin with we did a exchange deal to our part-timers.

We have a "personal trainer" who teaches 3 classes a week for us and in exchange can use the facility outside of our schedule for personal trainer.

We also have few other "part-timers" that are highly motivated Crossfiters that we have exchanged few classes a week/month in exchange for access to the gym outside of regular opening hours and abolishing their membership fee.

Now, finally, we are out of the "valley of death" and intend on paying our part time coaches 30EUR per class as contractors. I know as well from when I coached in Iceland that there they pay around 5000 kr.- per class as contractor.

The biggest benefit for us is that we don't have to do anything else than paying the bills they hand to us and they take care of the "extra work" (paying to union, taxes etc.). Then this number will be about 20-35% lower in their pocket at the end.

Don't know if these numbers are very relevant to the States but this is about 40$ per class.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O'Brien View Post
Mind sharing what that rate is? You can PM me if you would like to keep it private.

Awesome, thank you for this!
Daniel,
I believe the rate range is $20-$25 per class. $5-$10 more per class for the early morning class (6am).

From what I can gather, this seems to be the going rate in the area.
IMO, I would think that the more certs a coach holds, the higher the pay and/or the more hours/classes they should get. But then again, not all coaches are created equal, etc.. :-)