CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I have just started the zone mostlyly for the health bennefits, and also because everyone on CF seems to follow it, I'd like to gain muscle mass, not lose weight. Three things:

1. Do you people ever cheat on the zone? How often? When you cheat do you stay within the 40/30/30 ratio? I still want my deserts and pizza.

2. Are you planning on staying strict though the holidays? Those Christmas cookies are hard to turn down.

3. Has anyone found grocery shopping while on the Zone diet to be more expensive than grocery shopping while on a typical high carb diet? We had to go to the grocery twice this week (ran out of vegies) and the bill was over double our normal weekly bill.

Ben
Old 11-18-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Let me the first to tell you that there are a lot of people here that follow the zone quite strictly..so their responses may make you feel... i dunno...lazy, like me. I just don't eat white stuff.(rice, potatoes and white bread)
I don't care if i can live to 100 but can't have 1 cup of coffee a day or 6 beers on saturday night!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

You just need to be strict with the zone so that you can get your bodyfat down to 5-8%. Eating the zone diet becomes fun because you will feel great and see insane results. I dont remember who said this but i saw a quote once that said "everything in moderation, even moderation." Have fun on christmas, eat what you want, its one day.

Eating in the zone is more expensive. The best thing you can do is go to costco or a similar store and buy food in large quantities. Generally, walnuts, almonds, feta cheese, chickens, turkeys, fish oil, big containers of salad are extremely well priced there. You can usually get better fruit prices by shopping around your local grocery stores.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:16 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
1. I maybe cheat once a week. That is a normal week though, which Thanksgiving and Christmas definitely are not. Even on my cheat, I typically stick to the Zone ratios (1 block of carb : 1 block protein), just the portion size and quality are totally out of wack. Example of a typical cheat meal for me: Wendy's, triple bacon cheeseburger, 2 orders of nuggets, large frosty. Still around Zone ratios, but definitely not healthy (way, way, way too much saturated fat... not to mention total calories).

2. I'll probably behave fairly well, Zone speaking though the holidays. I'll eat too much, but I'll try to eat too much meat and high protein stuff. I hate the insulin spike. Though I will have to watch out for the fudge that my dad makes. I can't resist that stuff...

3. Groceries are a good bit more expensive for me since I've been on the Zone. I find the benefits to be worth the added cost though.

Old 11-19-2004, 08:00 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I think you have to be strict week in week out. . . most of the time. Once yo reach your BF goal (if yo have one) then, once in a while, go for it. It's not healthy to be a food nazi all the time.