CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Craig Massey

Profile:
Opensource software for bar path tracking

Warning, overexcited geek alert!

You know how in many Olympic lifting videos they show the lift from the side on and superimpose a wiggly line on the clip which traces the path the bar takes?
That's normally done using an application called Dartfish, which costs US$1000 for the basic version and does so much more than just bar path tracing that it's a minor feature.

Well after a year of searching off and one I've just found an open-source application called Kinovea (http://www.kinovea.org/en/) that does some of the same thing.
Given a side-on video of an Olympic lift you can select the end of the bar and let the software track it for you and draw the path of the bar throughout the lift.
Dartfish will also give you data on bar speed etc, but for most of us, it's the bar path that is most telling.

I've uploaded a video I processed of Annie Sakamoto cleaning to YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwOrFm0gkL4
Not even remotely criticising Annie's technique it just happened to be the first video in the Olympic lifting section of the mainsite exercises and demos page.

In this case all I had to do was select which segment of video I was interested in, click on the image of the end of the bar and tell it to trace the path, then save the resulting image.
The output file format is not a common one, but it's also not unusual and it's not hard to find something that will view it. YouTube sucked it up without belching.

I used the experimental 0.8.4 (http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=132)version of Kinovea. The trace feature is available in the stable release too, but may not work as well?

I think that this is so cool!

Actually there is some ability to export data to spreadsheets for analysis, but I haven't explored that.

Oops, nearly forgot, I was going too fast.
All links in this post are WFS.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Opensource software for bar path tracking

WOW!!!! This is awesome! I may have to download this and get to work!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

This is FANTASTIC!!!!

I hate to admit that I was actually considering the purchase of Dartfish. Right now, I put a piece of paper on my screen and "eyeball" it...

Thanks so much. It will be fun to play with...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Roger Smith

Profile:

THANKS... really cool stuff...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Has anyone been successful in downloading the software?

I have tried several times to download both the last "release" of 0.7.10 and the beta test of 0.8.4 and I don't get anywhere. Each time, it downloads the first MB or so and then just stalls until it fails...

Any ideas?

Regards,
britt
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
John McEneany

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post

I have tried several times to download both the last "release" of 0.7.10 and the beta test of 0.8.4 and I don't get anywhere. Each time, it downloads the first MB or so and then just stalls until it fails...

Any ideas?

Regards,
britt
Downloaded fine for me in seconds.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post

Any ideas?

Regards,
britt
Obviously I downloaded it yesterday.
I've just pulled both down again successfully and I'm on a different PC and internet connection than I was then.

Using Firefox' native downloader both downloads stalled and had to be paused and restarted once. This typical of this PC.
Using a download accelerator (Orbit downloader in this case,I used Free Download Manager yesterday) both downloads completed successfully. Which aside from speed is why I use one here. This PC definitely has issues and the end of its current role and/or configuration is looming.

Overall I'd say that the download is possible, although it's not quick. CrossFitters kicking into their Saturday may be overloading the poor server.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McEneany View Post
Downloaded fine for me in seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
Obviously I downloaded it yesterday.
I've just pulled both down again successfully and I'm on a different PC and internet connection than I was then.

Using Firefox' native downloader both downloads stalled and had to be paused and restarted once. This typical of this PC.
Using a download accelerator (Orbit downloader in this case,I used Free Download Manager yesterday) both downloads completed successfully. Which aside from speed is why I use one here. This PC definitely has issues and the end of its current role and/or configuration is looming.

Overall I'd say that the download is possible, although it's not quick. CrossFitters kicking into their Saturday may be overloading the poor server.
Okay, I got it now. I was using Firefox and it would just stall. So, I would restart, cancel once it paused, restart, cancel, etc... until I finally got it all downloaded.

I am doing heavy squat cleans today and wanted to check it out...

Thanks again,
brittf
Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

Really helpfull!!!

Thanks for the software tip, now I can see where the wobble in my back squat is!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Tony Black

Profile:

Link works fine for me. And you rock Craig!