CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Uriah Kimmig

Profile:
Home Garage or Crossfit Gym?

I have been doing CF for about 4 months now out of my garage and absolutely love it! The garage started with a basic bench, olympic set of weights, ab mat, dumbbells, and a heavy bag. Now it has slowly evovled into having a pull up bar,kettle balls, dip station, home made 24" box, homemade rings (pvc pipe heated in the oven and formed), and all the blocks surrounding the house mapped to figure the best distance for the runs . Anyone else workout from home and if so any tips?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
Jeremy Argo

Profile:
Re: Home Garage or Crossfit Gym?

I have put in work to turn my garage into my gym. I started with a cheap bar and iron plates from Sports Authority and a cheap bench. I got rid of the bench and have added the Pendlay CrossFit bar, bumper plates at 25, 35, and 45, a C2 rower, punching bag, and KB's up to 1.5 pood. Also in my back yard I put up pull up bars at 8 and 10 feet and strung up some rings bought from ebay. I sold an elliptical that sat for two years without use. When this deployment is over I'm adding a squat cage and stands, flat bench, a platform, more bumpers, and I'll be using the med ball thread to build one each of 10, 15, and 20 lbs. I love the set up because I don't have to go anywhere to work out. Just change and get outside.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Uriah Kimmig

Profile:

Nice Jeremy!
Sounds like you have got a pretty sweet set up going there. How long did it take you to put it all together?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I work out from mostly at home. I have a c2, bumpers, the pendlay crossfit econo bar, KB's, DB's, DIY plyos, ghd, half rack, black mats, pvc pipe and dowel rods for form work, chalk, dip belt for weighted dips and pullups. In addition to the bar and bumpers I've aquired six other generic bars and a ton of metal olympic plates. I can run a 24 man platoon through most wods. I had 10 of my guys come to my garage one weekend and do FGB so its not a bad setup. I'm working on a 2 pood KB, dynamax ball, and PU/ring station, but once I have those I'll have everything I need. The latest thing I've done is add a PC with speakers and subwoofer for music and I download new stuff from Itunes every week. I also bought a sheet of shower board and cut it into 22" x 48" sections and have my PR's posted on the walls. One for each of barbell lifts, the girls, heroes, run/row, and misc wods like FGB, 30 MU, 400m repeats, continuous PU's, TSE, filthy fifty. I have some stuff in there that I can't store anywhere else but once I figure that out it will clear up alot of space and look nice enough that any CF'er would like to use.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I workout from home as well.

In my basement I have:
- Power rack from craigslist
- Bench from craigslist
- Rogue Bar
- 260lbs of rogue Bumpers
- 2x45lb and some small fractional iron plates
- 2 KB's
- C2 rower
- Adjustable dumbbells
- Door frame pull-up bar (creating a REAL pull-up bar tomorrow actually... gotta get kipping)

I'm not sure what "tips" you're looking for. The subject of your post seemed to imply that you wanted advice as to whether you should continue to work out at home, or join a CF gym.

The basic advantages of a CF gym are 1) constant great coaching 2) environment of competition and family feeling.

My method was to go to the CF Fundamentals classes at my local affiliate, and nail down my form in the basic movements, and keep up with digital coaching to improve my form on other lifts. Then, all you need is some more competition/family feeling to match the affiliate... so I got a friend to work out with me every day.

If you're liking your home gym, stick with it. I love being able to walk down to my basement and work out.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Ben Sparks

Profile:

I workout in the garage as well. For me, its a scheduling thing. I pick up the kids at school and go home to workout while they either start their homework or do some Crossfit kids. I like that they see the daily exercise and have access to the gear. And that I can be close enough to help with homework or the daily boy vs. boy emergencies that tend to crop up. No way I could spend so much time with them every afternoon if I went off to a gym to workout.

I've put together a pretty good set of gear. I can also rig up an outdoor rack if the weather's nice, and do presses (like today), OHS, etc. under the redwood trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00036.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	5156   Click image for larger version

Name:	OH squat rack.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5157  
Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
S.S.

Profile:

In case it gives you any ideas, here's my summertime backyard gym:

http://sstrains.blogspot.com/2009/08/rest-day.html

wfs
Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Jeremy Argo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Kimmig View Post
Nice Jeremy!
Sounds like you have got a pretty sweet set up going there. How long did it take you to put it all together?
It actually took a couple of years. Between ebay and craigslist I did manage to save some money. The biggest new expense was the equipment from Pendlay (bar, bumpers, and 1.5p KB) but definitely worth the money. Spacing it out I save money, and gripes from the wife, and we all get to use this stuff, though I'm the only one that does CF. My youngest daughter loves to show me how strong she is by DLing the 1.5 KB. She also did a bear hug on a 40lb bag of water softener salt and carried it from the car to the house (about 15 yds). She's 7. They also love the rings in the back yard, which are now in Kuwait with me. I'm also planning to buy some climbing grips and put a wall up in the back yard.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Andre Urquiza

Profile:

Just gotten back into it, and setup the garage for at home training. Much more convenient, as my work schedule is rather erratic plus its nice having everything available for you at anytime.

I picked up a power rack of craigslist along with a bench, 4 4x6 mats from the local tractor supply store, and one of Rogue's CF Kits + 20" Box so I'm pretty much set. Right now the rings hang from the pull-up bar, but I'm working on a setup to hang it from underneath the deck, which is over the garage. Will make for some cold ring work in the winter, but not so bad. Garage ceiling is 8'6" so maybe I'll do an indoor one in the future.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Wyatt Fairchild

Profile:

I don't have any tips, but i work out of my home most of the time. The one major problem is I have no weight equipment. So i have to go to the kinda small gym at my old community college. I have med balls, and rings and pull up bar. As well as several other random items at my house . .
As of right now most of my self inflicting pain is doen at my own home!!