CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Stuart Hughes

Profile:
Crossfit in Beijing

Anyone out there on a long-term basis? I'm heading out there in August for a year, want to get going on Crossfit once I'm off SS. Going to be studying in Beijing Normal University, so if anyone knows what the facilities are like (I'm hoping there's good Olympic weightlifting and gymnastics groups around) this'll be super appreciated.

Stu
Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
Alex ter Wee

Profile:
Re: CrossFit in Beijing

I actually studied at Beijing Normal two years ago. The facilities in it aren't fantastic, but from what I remember you can still get a decent crossfit workout and it's never crowded (so you can move from exercise to exercise quickly).

I'm actually moving to Beijing in June, and will be looking for a gym to do crossfit. If you get curious and find another gym that's better please let me know.

-Alex
Old 03-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Christopher Day

Profile:
Re: Crossfit in Beijing

Hi Stuart,

I've been living in Beijing for about two years now. I am not familiar with the facilities at BNU and I have never been to any O-lifting or gymnastics training facilities in China.

There are hundreds of small globo gyms around that are very cheap (about 700 RMB / year). They have all the basic barbell and dumbbell equipment you will need minus bumper plates and speciality items like glute ham developer, etc. I personally train a MEBB style routine with a lot of squatting, deadlifts, and heavy presses. For metcon, I mostly just try to do some simple couplets and triplets. No one has ever given me a problem about doing cleans, but I don't snatch as frequent dumping would get me in trouble. Basically, being a foreigner in the gym here, no one is going to give you a problem though you will get some funny looks when you start crossfitting.

The other wonderful thing about Beijing is the multitude of outdoor steel furniture facilities. Around most block corners you will find little parks full of pullups bars, parallel bars, crazy stretching stations, outdoor ping pong tables (perfect for box jumps), etc. In the summer, I frequently do bodyweight style metcon workouts outdoors in these places.

I personally don't know any other crossfitters in Beijing but I do know they exist and I haven't really tried that hard to find them. I would love to get together and train occasionally when you get here.

If you want more information, just ask.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Alex ter Wee

Profile:

Chris,

Will you still be in Beijing later this summer? If you are, would you mind helping me join one of these gyms? I'll be moving there in mid-June.

-Alex
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Jeremy Gilpin

Profile:

I guess I'll add my voice to this thread...

I've been in Beijing for about two and a half years now myself. I'm currently training Aikido and BJJ at Black Tiger Academy.

If you can handle the fees you'll find a really good group of folks that train pretty damn hard and some of the best Muay Thai and BJJ instructors in the world, hands down.

Last year Pedro Sauer came out for a seminar and I believe Professor Quint is looking to get Rillion Gracie to come out at the end of the year.

I mentioned to Chris previously that they do have kettlebells and some decent dumbbells, as well as a climbing wall and a decent pullup contraption.
Here are some more photos of the facility:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/niplig/...7615416134062/

Please feel free to shoot any questions you have my way. Beijing can be a tough place to get started in, but there are some great people here and the expat community is very supportive.

Jeremy
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Alex ter Wee

Profile:

Hi all,

We've started a listserv for people in Beijing that want to do Crossfit. As of now there is no official Crossfit gym, but we do get together over weekends for workouts and someday the community will be big enough for a gym.

please join crossfit-beijing@googlegroups.com if you're interested

-Alex
Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Miles Grimshaw

Profile:

I am a college student in Beijing for the next 6 months, until December 2010. Pollution permitting, I am inventing WODs using all the great natural tools available around the city. Is there anyone else crossfitting in Beijing? Feel free to see what WODs I've done lately over at: http://milesawayinchina.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Peter Gan

Profile:

Hey guys,

I'm from Beijing and am finishing school in Canada. I just started crossfit and love it! So I would love to work out with you guys when I go home to visit. I'm really excited to hear that there's a crossfit community in my hometown! I look forward to work out with you all!

Peter
Old 02-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Kevin Kocher

Profile:

hi, will be in beijing in july. what is the current status of crossfit in beijing and any MMA gyms. thanks