CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
John DeMoss

Profile:
Squat and Press: Just started

I am using relatively light weight on the squat in particular, as it was an off day but I had my camera. Any thoughts on form? I feel like I have to make an effort to keep my knees out when the weight starts getting up to my work set. I feel like they want to go in sometimes. Why would this be?

http://youtu.be/nNQgL-zP-2A

http://youtu.be/wu5wsf7I0Fk

Last edited by John DeMoss : 06-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
John DeMoss

Profile:
Re: Squat and Press: Just started

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeMoss View Post
I am using relatively light weight on the squat in particular, as it was an off day but I had my camera. Any thoughts on form? I feel like I have to make an effort to keep my knees out when the weight starts getting up to my work set. I feel like they want to go in sometimes. Why would this be?

http://youtu.be/nNQgL-zP-2A

http://youtu.be/wu5wsf7I0Fk
i will try to get deadlift and heavier squat video tomorrow
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Are you squatting high bar or low bar? I can't see where the bar is on your back but your hip/back/knee angles look like high bar, which is not how SS recommends you squat. That being said, for high bar squats they look ok, but if you're squatting low bar you need to focus on sitting back more so you can engage your hamstrings and glutes better and get hip drive out of the hole.

For the press, bring your hands in a little so your forearms are perfectly vertical when you unrack the bar. Hold the bar in the heel of your hands so your wrists aren't cocked back--that'll save you some wrist and elbow pain and also make you stronger because you're not putting yourself in a bad position leverage-wise. Do your breathing at the top of each rep...in other words, take a breath, tighten up, press your first rep, then hold it at lockout while you take a quick breath out and in and retighten up, then bring the bar down and catch a bit of stretch-reflex for your next rep.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Can't tell for sure- but the lockout seems suspect on the press. And the bar seems like it is out in front of you.

Squats look good for high-bar.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Can't tell for sure- but the lockout seems suspect on the press. And the bar seems like it is out in front of you.

Squats look good for high-bar.
Yeah I noticed that too--breathing at the top of each rep will fix that though, so I didn't think to mention lockout specifically.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I noticed a bit of a bend in your knees just before the first rep of your press.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Back squat looked nice.

But with the presses, just like Yahya mentioned, there was definitely some knee bend in the beginning of that set. Make sure you are completely static at the beginning of the set. As mentioned above, watch your lock out, you need to make sure that your ears are in front of your arms when the bar is DIRECTLY overhead. If you don't lock out, have the bar overhead and show your ears in front of your arms, it's a no rep [in competition].