CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Kaitlyn Spronz

Profile:
Overhead Squat and Jerk Help!!

Hola!

New to CF and trying to get the proper technique for the lifts... I'm having some trouble with the jerk though. Any critiques would be fabulous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlWaIybPf0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHGRBfmT1-Q

and overhead squats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3SIa_N2_A

Thank you!

Last edited by Kaitlyn Spronz : 06-25-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:
Re: Overhead Squat and Jerk Help!!

Not an expert by any means, but a few things jump out.

First, I would suggest a decent pair of weightlifting shoes. I think that will help out with maintaining balance.

On your jerk, your front knee is too far behind your foot. It should be just over or slightly in front of your foot. You also seem to be throwing the bar behind you, which is why you took some steps back. Try and just shoot the bar straight up while moving just enough to get your face out of the way.

On your squats, you're not getting deep enough. You have good back extension, but it seems like you may actually be veering over into hyper-extension. With that said, you should be able to go below parallel without fear of losing extension.
The bar seems to be a little far behind you. I believe that the bar should be in line with your shoulders/knees/feet.

Someone with more knowledge will probably chime in, but this is what I'm looking at.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

W/my limited expertise,
For the OHS, I would suggest jerking it up from behind your neck, not the rack position. This will allow you to get a wider grip. And if your grip is wide enough, you can go to the proper depth w/o worrying about the bar falling forward.

I could be wrong though.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Deb Weber

Profile:

+1 shoes. +1 limited experience.

I think your dip may be a little too deep and the bar is getting pushed over your head instead of quick acceleration up & you jumping under it. You dont lift it, you jump under. Theres a timing to it, takes some practice to get a quick acceleration both directions (on the bar and you jumping under quickly... w/prax your footwork will improve).

on the OHS keep your weight in your heels, let your knees go forward & out over your toes more, drop your butt down instead of sticking it out back (i guess the bar is back to balance the butt way out). Stay tight in the bottom, dont worry about butt wink, shove your knees out and get your hips under you on the way up.

Keep going, doing great!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Thomas Sayle

Profile:

IMO, I would work on the push press until it gets better. Definitely going too low in your dip. Remember that the dip is short and powerful. Your hips need to be driving in that drive portion, or when you are exploding back up from the dip.

Last, in the push press, work on the loop that you have when the bar is going up. Grab a piece of PVC that is tall, and have someone stand in front of you with it. This will create a frontal plane that allows you to track where that bar is going. The angle is hard to see, but it looks like you are forcing the bar out, up and then back when it is going up. More weight on that bar would equal bad news as you would have to bail out from under it.

Work on the push press a little more, then progress from there.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Your dip is too low and slow. Jumping too high off the ground - you want to jump down under the bar. Keep working on it!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Kaitlyn Spronz

Profile:

Thank you all for the help!! Will keep practicing. Going to give up on the bar and start using a broom handle until I can get technique down better on the OHS.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sayle View Post
IMO, I would work on the push press until it gets better. Definitely going too low in your dip. Remember that the dip is short and powerful. Your hips need to be driving in that drive portion, or when you are exploding back up from the dip.

Last, in the push press, work on the loop that you have when the bar is going up. Grab a piece of PVC that is tall, and have someone stand in front of you with it. This will create a frontal plane that allows you to track where that bar is going. The angle is hard to see, but it looks like you are forcing the bar out, up and then back when it is going up. More weight on that bar would equal bad news as you would have to bail out from under it.

Work on the push press a little more, then progress from there.
I respectfully disagree. In the push press you lock your knees and then bend your elbows. In the jerk, you lock your elbows and let your knees bend. They are completely opposite movements.

I would suggest just doing footwork with no bar and no upper body motion. Try to get a good solid split where both of your knees can bend. When the weight gets heavier, it's not your elbows or torso that should give, it's your knees.

Once you can get a really fast and deep split, then add in the arm motion.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Something else that hasn't been mentioned about your OHS. You seem to have really good shoulder flexibility, but it is actually causing the bar to break the plane behind your center of gravity which could be part of your balance problems. Even when you're just standing in the up position, you're actually holding the bar behind your heels most of the time. If you draw a straight line from the middle of your foot all the way up your body to the ceiling you would want your mid foot, your shoulders, and the bar to remain on this center line throughout the entire lift. You are drifting behind it and I think the bar might be dragging you there.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Spronz View Post
Thank you all for the help!! Will keep practicing. Going to give up on the bar and start using a broom handle until I can get technique down better on the OHS.
I wouldn't spend too much time with the broomstick. Maybe as a warmup. Using actual weight will give you something to push against.

Remember, using less weight doesn't make your form better. Practicing perfect form at any weight makes your form better.