CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
I am very new to the CrossFit Concept. I did my first WOD today, 16MARCH2004. It felt great. I managed to do the cycle in 27 minutes. With the army, however, I need to, in addition to overall fitness, be able to excel on the Army APFT. I am aiming to max this test by doing 71 PushUps in 2 minutes, 78 SitUps in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in 13 minutes. Currently, I can do 64 PushUps, 95 SitUps and Complete the run in 13:52. Is there a good way to balance training for the APFT with the CrossFit program? I saw the GTG mentioned in some of the past articles. I am definitely going to look into this. But, I am looking for any other tips I might be able to get.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Kris Freeman

Profile:
I'm no expert, but I would either supplement with GTG for Pushups, or throw timed pushups into your workout. For GTG, say you can max at 80, do sets of 15 maybe 10 times per day. You build volume, while staying as fresh as possible; the principles of GTG! You could also work Pushups into the wod's, I find that timed trials work particularly well, and are closely related with your APFT. Try sets of a couple sets of 1:00 and/or 4 sets of 0:30. This also works great with Situps for the PFT and is pretty much all you need to do. I think the worst thing you can do is obsess too much about a certain exercise, which can interfere with your progress. Less is more, essentially, IMHO.
Good luck,
Kris
Old 03-17-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Thomas-
Welcome! I think Kris's recomendations are solid..not much more to be offered. Please do keep us posted on your progress.
Robb
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
David Mcevoy

Profile:
Thomas,

I concur with Kris and Robb. Use the APFA as a benchmark to assess your developing strength and fitness, but not your goal as I feel you will limit your progression. I occasionally do it on the run up to the APFA bi-annual assessment just so that I get used to the order and timing and feel of the exercises and of course my fatigue. I have found that the Crossfit methodology is ideal for improving strength, power, fitness, et al, and that by following the the WOD I still manage to achieve 300 points for an 18 year old although I'm 36. So keep following the WOD and 300 on the APFA will be a breeze in no time.