CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Özgün Subasi

Profile:
My first WOD and experiences

Hi there,

I'm coming from my first CrossFit workout. I though sharing my experience would be very appropriate for my first post.

First we started to warm up. 3 rounds of:
- 15 push-ups
- 15 air squats
- 15 sit-ups
- 15 back extensions
- 15 sec samson stretch
- 15 shoulder dislocates

I had a pulse computer on and I saw 182 bpm even during the warm up (which is around %92 of my MHR). I really got warmed up, no doubt about that.

The WOD was "Fight Gone Bad" scaled down to beginners. For sumo deadlift high pulls and push presses, we used 45 lbs empty barbells instead of 75 lbs barbells. For box jumps, we used 20" boxes instead of 24" boxes.

I already knew the exercises (except wall balls). When they said that we will use 45 lbs barbells, I thought "no problem, I normally do 90 lbs strict presses anyway".

First round started with wall-balls: I thought ok, this is tiring but fun. No problem. Sumo deadlift high pulls: ok going strong. Box jumps: Holy smoke... I think just after 20 reps or so my pulse maxed out. (I hit the pulse sender with the barbell during high pull and dropped it, therefore I cannot say for sure ). I think I got 25 reps or so and I was totally smashed after the jumps. Out of breath, even the 45 lbs barbell was so heavy for push presses...

After round 2, I turned to my trainer and said that I can't go on. He forced me continue anyway. Although I was spending the first 15-20 seconds of the 1 minute to go to the position, I tried my best. I think I was half-unconsious in the third round. I remember feeling like a mashed potato.

Anyway, after the third round ended, I fell to ground and couldn't get up for 5-10 minutes. After 15-20 minutes, I got up but I was still feeling dizzy. I found my pulse sender and I reattached it to the belt. Wow, my pulse was still around 130... after 15-20 minutes. :O

I ran a 10k race 4-5 months ago and during the race my pulse was %95 MHR in average. I didn't feel anything like this even after that race. I remember my pulse going down to normal after 5-10 minutes. But this is insane...

Before the WOD, I was very motivated for the exercise. During the 2. and 3. set I was thinking "oh no I definitely cannot do this regularly". But I guess that was a normal thought during the stress. Now I feel very good and I know I am going to continue regularly.

Anyway. That is a story of a newcomer. I totally respect the mental and physical power of every crossfitter now. Lemme end this post with this weird smiley before I go:
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: My first WOD and experiences

LOL.

But seriously, nice Job. The soreness will remind you of your effort for a few days. The workouts get better....that is to say you get more used to them....they don't actually get better. Welcome and keep it up.

*edit* My wife had a heart rate monitor when she was pregnant. The doctors told her not to let it get above 130. We had her do 20 pushups and it was 135....so she promptly stopped wearing the heart rate monitor, kept doing crossfit, and both of our kids came out perfect

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 01-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
Özgün Subasi

Profile:

Actually only my hamstrings and traps are a little sore. Nothing serious. I was doing a strenght based training with barbells (Starting Strength) since 2 months. I guess squats, deadlifts, presses and pull-ups cover most of the muscles.

I wonder which exercises caused the hamstring and trap soreness though. I am guessing the Sumo Deadlift Highpulls...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Yes, probably the sumo deadlift high pulls. They are a deceptively wicked exercise since you are moving a fairly heavy weight over a large distance very quickly. It's a great exercise for strength and explosive power though.