CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Bil Christopher

Profile:
Brand-spank'n-new

I just came across crossfit in (I hate to admit) a Muscle and Fitness mag that my buddy dropped on my desk last Thursday. Ironically, he wanted me to take a look at a completely different article about shredding through cross training. That article was the same old jive I've read and done for decades. Sure, it works for awhile but never for long and it always requires an off-cycle to strength train lest you lose strength and hit the dreaded "plateau".

So anyway, I come across that article on crossfit. I know several people on this board have seen it too cuz I've read their reviews of it. Well, I was intrigued - not sold on it, just intrigued. So I do what any good researcher does. I research. As you can tell by my very presence here I decided that it made sense and had enough data to back it's claims. So I started on Sunday by following the 7 day (1 rest day) plan in the mag and MAN was I wasted at the end of my work out. I haven't been that wasted (in a good way) after a work out in a very long time. I am concerned that they didn't break it down well enough in the mag though. Ya see, they only had 3 catagories: Advanced, intermediate, and beginner... all based on your times. Well I figure that they missed a category: "Completely out-of-shape POS" cuz that is exactly how I felt after seeing my times were consistently 8+ minutes worse than the times establishing the catagory of beginner.

Now I'm not beating myself up. I have been neglecting cardio for years by wasting my time on an elliptical for an hour a day (I know it's stupid but it helped me justify the lies I was telling myself about age and body type, blah, blah, blah... I'm fixed now. I'm doing crossfit for life). I am able to complete the exercises without problem but my times are pretty weak. I know I can scale down the exercises but I don't know what that buys me. Yes, some of the WOD's (the ladies and Murph particularly) scare me a little and may be out of my reach but the rest of them are not. I'm strong, though not crossfit strong, and can hang through the workouts but my times just bite. So I'm asking you experienced crossfitters for a little advice. Do I do what I can and deal with bad times knowing that they will eventually improve or do I scale them down for the sake of better times? I really don't know which is the better approach and am 100% open to any advice you have for me.

Thanks a ton.

Bil
Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Michael Blazek

Profile:
Re: Brand-spank'n-new

I have only been doing crossfit for a month but from following the posts on the forum and asking the same questions this is my take on it:

ultimately form is key. With the metcon WODs it is important to keep the intensity high. The way I do it is I scale when its necessary to scale, otherwise I just push through it knowing that next time I will have a better time. The best thing to do is keep your intensity high and your form solid. If that requires you to scale than scale it.

Don't feel like you are taking too long because your times don't compare to the front page comments. But it should be intense and you should be working through the whole thing. If you do Fran and it takes you more than 10 minutes I would suggest scaling it down a bit.

If your sucking wind at the end and are totally wasted your moving in the right direction.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Bil Christopher

Profile:

Cool, that's what I figured. Glad to see that I'm not off base. I'll keep your comment about Fran in mind when I "meet her" on Friday.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I highly recommend the Brand X CrossFit (google it) scaling if you're not up for the full WOD.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

You call yourself a good researcher in the second paragraph. Well, there's plenty of information on this board, some very recent threads actually, that covers exactly the question you asked.

Go ahead and research those threads.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
You call yourself a good researcher in the second paragraph.
Technically, he didn't. He only said that he did something that any good researcher does.

I had breakfast this morning, just as any good NFL quarterback does.

- Mark
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I had breakfast this morning, just as any good NFL quarterback does.
Thats what Rex Grossman has been doing wrong! He doesn't eat breakfast!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Erika Bucheli

Profile:

Bil, you've got a CrossFit gym right in Modesto! COME CHECK US OUT!
(www.crossfitmodesto.com)
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Mike Choate

Profile:

Hey Bill, if you havn't done so yet download the free issue of the crossfit journal, Lots of good info in there. keep researching this message board that should keep you busy for awhile.
Don't feel too bad that your times are not up to crossfit standards yet, we have all been there.
Definatly check out the brandX scaled workouts.

And come check us out at Crossfit Modesto, it's a lot more fun going thru these workouts with a group.

Mike Choate
Crossfit Modesto
Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #10
Kaala Souza

Profile:

Scaling is a question we deal with constantly with my friends. I've been on this CF train for almost two years now and have scaled and been both happy and sad and not scaled and been unable to straighten my back for a week (Diane with 225#DL). To me scaling depends on the intent of the workout. Is it supposed to make me breathe hard or lift heavy? If the former is the intent and I can't breathe hard at the weight rx'd (because it's so heavy that I'm doing sets of ones and twos - like that darn "Linda") than I would want to scale it down til I get that "I love air" feeling and my times are close to some of the times I see on the front page (rx'd) knowing that my goal is to increase the weight the next time to get me closer to doing it as prescribed. i.e. if the workout is something like a "Fran" and lots of front pagers are doing sub 10" and I finish it in 55" than I've missed the intent. If I can scale it and get it close to the sub 10"s than I'm on it. If I scale it and it's sub 2" than I've gone too far the other way

The strength workouts (yesterdays 1s on the deadlifts) are different. If you know the exercise and know your self than take your time and move it up. The thing I've seen with the new comers is that they want to lift heavy like everyone else but haven't conditioned themselves to handle that weight. So maybe they do the heavy squats today but can't walk tomorrow (good scenario) or they drop the heavy squats and can't walk for life (bad scenario).

If you're in it for the long haul than it's all good. Take your time. The workout will come up again. I used to enjoy reading the front page because it always put my times into perspective. The videos are helpful there too. It gives me something to shoot for.

Enjoy and Aloha!

Last edited by Kaala Souza : 05-15-2008 at 12:59 AM.