CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Lori Vescio

Profile:
Too much too soon led to a diagnosis of bicipital tendonitis last January. I had to cut out my weight training and self defense classes (had just started both), but I was able to slowly work my way back to my regular yoga routine. To give you an idea of how much it hurt, doing Down Dog was completely out of the question in the beginning. Heck, turning my steering wheel was painful. :uhoh:

So it's roughly 6 months later, and I'm starting to learn some CF moves. In addition to really working on my handstand, I'm learning deadlifts, dumbbell swings and squats with little or no weight. This seems to have aggravated my shoulder, which confuses me because I'm being very careful. Plus it's not like I've been inactive, as my yoga practice requires a certain amount of shoulder strength and flexibility. Within a little over 3 months post-injury, I was once again enjoying a pain-free practice. I figured 6 months out was safe enough to try CF.

Anyone else dealing with this? My original plan was conservative: rest, Advil, yoga for therapy. Now I'm wondering if I need to go back to the doc and ask for something else. Traditional physical therapy? Massage therapy? Voodoo? (I can supply the chicken bones.) http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/27336.gif

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to take them back to the doc's office with me. Not that I don't trust my doc ~ I just like to have a little info in the beginning.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Lori Vescio

Profile:
After my original post, I sat thinking a bit more and remembered tweaking the shoulder when cartwheeling out of a handstand last week. Perhaps I should lay off handstands for a while.

Ah well...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I'll post more later, but that was going to be my first suggestion.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Lori Vescio

Profile:
Hm, despite my enthusiasm, maybe I'm just not strong enough yet to bust out decent handstands. I ordered a few CF Journals and am going to work through the Beginner's Workout, giving my wing a little time to heal.

Thanks, Jerimiah. :happy:
Old 07-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Handstands place a huge demand on our shoulder girdle. The muscle strength and coordination required to get into and maintain a handstand is very great and must be ramped up to very gently. learning to press overhead is a great start and the crossfit progressions are the only way to go, unless you can find an adult gymnastics class.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Jason Fry

Profile:
Lori,
What is your warmup? Do you have any stretching exercises you are performing before your workouts?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Lori Vescio

Profile:
I was doing handstands every chance I got, so that might explain things. Plus I've been working on jumps during my yoga practice, which mimics a half-handstand at times (if you try really hard to float gracefully). I may be taxing my shoulder more than I originally thought.

Jason, my warm up isn't much by CF standards I think. I jump rope for 5 minutes, do some Sun Salutations and use other yoga poses to open the hips and such (anything from pigeon to lunges). I also throw in some mild backbends. I end with some gentle rotation of the arms.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
It's possible that the original problem was not bicep tendonitis but rotator cuff tendonitis. I have the latter and there is significant referred pain to the bicep. Have you made sure your rotator cuffs are strong enough - usually they are a weak point.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Good point elliot, that would be something to explore.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
Lori Vescio

Profile:
I will look into that. Thank you!