CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Change plates

I did a quick search and found a bit of information. I am currently looking at upgrading most of my bumpers to Pendlay Elites. Right now I have a set of Rogue Hi-temps and they do bounce all over the place when dropped. I will keep them but I really like the Pendlays for the non-bouncyness. I just got a set of 55's (25kgs). I am thinking of actually just going with kg plates (for ease of loading etc.) But will need change plates, which in kg in North America are tricky to find. I see MD is sold out of the metal plates but I did see the rubber set on Wayfair. Anyone ever use the rubber set ? And how do they hold up ? I am thinking of getting a pair of 15 kg plates and a set of kg rule change plates and I should be set to snatch and C & J for a while with them and my 25's.

Any thoughts on the rubber vs metal plates. I have looked on all my local sites and never find any kg plates, or in the local sporting goods stores either. Seems like folks use the MD set and are happy with them. I would order them if they were in stock.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Change plates

I have almost an entire set of pendlay elites and mdusa change plates (colored metal and some rubber ones). MDUSA has everything you need now, you'll have to mix and match a little though. Here's the 5kg change discontinued (wfs): http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Disco...tes_c_700.html.

You will also want some 2.5kg plates (red), and some 1kg plates (green), and I would get some .5kg (smallest/white). If you have the budget, and want the colored ones, go with the rubber change plates. The painted metal ones will just chip away over time anyway, and leaves paint marks on my collars, etc... The rubber ones have metal inserts like bumpers, and they're cute! The unpainted metal ones might save you some money, and might not have anything to chip off. If you want every little increment, thats cool too, I just doubled up every 'other' (5kg white, 2.5reds, 1.0greens, 0.5whites == dimes, nickles, 2.2lbs, 1.1lb each side respectively).

And for bigger bumpers, you just need some 20kg, and some 10kg plates. But maybe you like the 15kg plates too, your call? But I would double up 25's, 20's, and 10's.

I have one more set of 25kg to buy, before having double of everything I listed above. My plates are the black elite bumpers, with the colored writing. I love my bumpers.

Are your 25kgs red?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I've used other gym's rubber change plates and they seem to hold up just fine. They are quieter that's for sure, if that's important to you. I use iron plates and have managed to find some used iron plates in kilos, but that was before Crossfit was a thing. I have a set of the MD iron plates. They were originally black but I painted them in official color coding as with all my other plates.

Sometimes you can get iron change plates in kgs from Ivanko directly. I have a few. Their calibrated plates are a bit wierd and overly complicated but I haven't wrecked them yet in over a dozen years of use.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys !

The bumpers I bought are black with the colored lettering. Also, it is just me and the wife that use the garage gym. As far as what I need, eventually I will get some 10's and 20's but for for I should be good with 25's and 15's for my Oly lifting. Consesus is that MD rubber are good and yes quiet is important. Colored plates never really crossed my mind. Mostly I was wondering how the rubber ones tood up over time. I had some small rubber 2.5 lbs weights that didn't hold up at all to dropping. They broke up horribly. So if you guys think the rubber will stand up to a 2 person use and abuse and be more quiet then that is good. The metal would be fine but MD is sold out of one size in the black. I really can't see a huge advantage with colored plates right now, other than really nice asthetics.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I had some small rubber 2.5 lbs weights that didn't hold up at all to dropping.
Please don't tell me you drop the bar with just the change plates on. They are not made for impact.

Get a whole set of .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5kg, preferably colored and rubber, metal ones are ok but noisy.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I never dropped just the change plates. I will likely be looking at getting the rubber change plates. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

The advantage to colored-coded plates is they reduce the number of misloads.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wazowski View Post
Get a whole set of .5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5kg, preferably colored and rubber, metal ones are ok but noisy.
I'll second this. A good Pendlay or Eleiko set of color, rubber will last forever.

I have leaner, after many mistakes, buy the good stuff the first time and be done with it.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Bryan Weingart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
The advantage to colored-coded plates is they reduce the number of misloads.
true

I have the black rubber change plates from Pendlay, no issues at all with them. I just wrapped electrical tape around them to color code them.

White-5kgs
Red-2.5kgs
Blue-2kgs
Yellow-1.5kgs
Green-1kgs
White-0.5kgs

not sure why I typed those all out, lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Sorry to resurrect this but just as a question, are the MD rubber plates friction or not. I honestly never realized that the Eleiko plates are actually a friction fit. That is pretty cool. I ended up with a set of metal change from MD, and painted them similar to what Lincoln suggested. I am involved in the arduous process of converting to kg. I started with pound Hi-temps but slowly have switched over to some comp Pendlay plates.

I may have to splurge one day and buy some more bumpers but for now I am good for the lifting I do.

Relly looking to buy a better bar next. I have been looking.......right now it would be a toss up for a Pendlay Bearing, an Eleiko or the DHS training bar.