CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #231
Angie Marfisi

Profile:
Re: Cfcc Bccc 2010

I just asked greg about fish oil monday , it DOES NOT count in your totals.

Day 3:

I ate horribly (bc I did not pack enough food), so the day started promising and ended promising but in between 1) I drank like 1/2 a coke which I DO NOT drink soda period, so WTF 2) I ate this panini thing while I was catering and I have no idea what was in it

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=amarfisi

Today was a metcon day so I should had about 140 CHO, I went way over and hit 180, not enough PRO (-6) supposed to have 135, and not enough fat (-10) supposed to have 67.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #232
Blair Giffin

Profile:

Day #3-

Day 3 was a little rough. I have been eating the same thing every day during the week for the past 2 weeks. I prefer to have more variances in my diet; however, when traveling and trying to eat healthy it just doesn't jive.

Breakfast- 2% greek yogurt, strawberries, 100 cal pack of almond walnut mix
Lunch- grilled turkey patty, 2 packets mustard, small salad (just romaine) with vinegar
Dinner- grilled chicken, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, asparagus

Cal- 1,059
Fat- 31.6
Carb- 101.2
Pro- 95.1

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...ner=bea3545725 (SFW)

Overall my numbers were kind of low today, but I didn't have all that many options...

Activity: made up my own WOD (I am not adding in carbs for WODS I do on my own, because I feel they aren't as intense as a CFCC workout)
800 m run
tabata plank
tabata squat (132)
800 m run
skillwork: handstand holds

Looking forward to going home tonight (and getting to eat more veggies and food variety), although the airport does not provide good lunch options! I am just hoping my flight isn't delayed because of the storms between Buffalo and Philly...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 AM   #233
Mary Jo Bergbauer

Profile:

Day 4, 11/12/10, Projected Totals:

Pro = 106.5
CHO = 147.1
Fat = 50.6
Cals = 1421

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=maryslow

Quick summary:
Meal #1, 5:10 AM: Coffee w/ coconut milk, hard boiled egg, blueberries
Snack #1, 9-9:30 AM: Cottage cheese, strawberries
Meal #2, 11:45 AM: Kale, greek yogurt, blueberries
Pre-workout, 4:00 PM Protein shake w/ blueberries
Post-workout, 7:00 PM Protein shake w/ strawberries
Meal #3, 7:30 PM Fritata (homemade), sweet potatoes, avacado, tomatoes, olives, almonds
Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 AM   #234
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie Marfisi View Post

I ate horribly (bc I did not pack enough food), so the day started promising and ended promising but in between 1) I drank like 1/2 a coke which I DO NOT drink soda period, so WTF 2) I ate this panini thing while I was catering and I have no idea what was in it
I have so done this before. Waitressing and not eating food makes you eat WEIRD things out of utter desperation.

I did really well yesterday except someone threw away my turkey! I only had about 2 oz. of it left when they did so I ate... a tiny (like seriously tiny) bite of someone's mousse cake - bartender's birthday so we got cake - 1 fry (haha - why. even. bother.) - and a bite of grilled chicken (someone else bought food and gave me some).

So - that's the weird way I eat now. I also drank a $hitton of lemon water and maybe 2 cups of decaf coffee. Please note I was also pretty much moving non-stop from 430p til 830p. But I didn't leave work until 11p.

I felt better not eating crappy food. I think mainly that everything you eat out (besides being a little more fatty) is just more sodium heavy. And that just leaves me with a puffy feeling.

Packed food today. Chicken, shallots, and swiss chard with peach and cucumber salad. All. day. long.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #235
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post

I felt better not eating crappy food. I think mainly that everything you eat out (besides being a little more fatty) is just more sodium heavy. And that just leaves me with a puffy feeling.

Packed food today. Chicken, shallots, and swiss chard with peach and cucumber salad. All. day. long.
Yes that. And I need to learn what to do with shallots and chard. We need to have a cooking party.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #236
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo Bergbauer View Post
Day 4, 11/12/10, Projected Totals:

Pro = 106.5
CHO = 147.1
Fat = 50.6
Cals = 1421

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Owner=maryslow

Quick summary:
Meal #1, 5:10 AM: Coffee w/ coconut milk, hard boiled egg, blueberries
Snack #1, 9-9:30 AM: Cottage cheese, strawberries
Meal #2, 11:45 AM: Kale, greek yogurt, blueberries
Pre-workout, 4:00 PM Protein shake w/ blueberries
Post-workout, 7:00 PM Protein shake w/ strawberries
Meal #3, 7:30 PM Fritata (homemade), sweet potatoes, avacado, tomatoes, olives, almonds
Hey there, MJ.

If you can stand it, see if you can take out the strawberries in the protein shake. Your shake post workout should be just protein if you can help it. Otherwise... great looking meals! Keep it up!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #237
Blair Giffin

Profile:

I hate that puffy feeling...even though i am just really eating grilled chicken that has been made at the grocery store....still feeling puffy! yuck!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #238
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quick note...after an exhausting last week traveling for work and an exhausting weekend moving furniture all over Pennsylvania (along with accompanying horrible sleep), I felt like absolute crap for the first half of this week. Sluggish, bloated, tired, and (obviously since I didn't attend CF at all this week) no desire whatsoever to lift or metcon or anything. It was different than other times when I'm just not interested in waking up early. My body felt like it was consciously rejecting the idea. I figured this means it needed a break. Lo and behold today I feel about a million percent better. It might help that I finally hit my macros yesterday, and I'm sure there's still some adjustment to the lighter amount of calories. Anyway, I am looking forward to getting back from my wedding photo weekend and kicking some butt next week!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #239
Meg Paszko

Profile:

8/11/2010

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=megpaszko

F: 60
C: 140
P: 89

F: +10
C: perfect
P: -1

closest day yet.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #240
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Marra View Post
Overall, a better day for me. I've had a headache for the past three days. I'm thinking is from the CHO deficit i've been in since Monday. Any thoughts if it could be anything other than the CHO issue?
It could be a lot of things but a headache on a CHO deficit is normal - that's your brain talking to you about how much it looooooooooves glucose! That said - remember to drink water! You're losing a lot more than you'd think in the insanity that is this weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Barnes View Post
0300: Roast turkey with low-fat, low-carb gravy with one slice wheat bread. Mountain dew 20 oz (to stay awake)
0800: 2tbps jif peanut butter and protein shake with milk
1200: Venti mocha
1530: Pre workout 1 cup oats, 8oz milk, protein shake
1700: Post workout protein shake with water, 1/2 cup blueberries
1800: 3 tacos (grilled chicken, pico de gallo, lime, corn tortilla)

Totals:
Cals:3302
Carbs:396 g
Protein: 261g
Fat: 78g

Keep in mind today's food ranged across a night shift and day. Ate a lot of dense foods today. Again, working on cutting out the Starbucks and soda.
So... Just a couple of thoughts on what's above. "To stay awake" is ironic because I have to say - what usually makes me sleepy 20 minutes after I have them is simple sugars. Mountain Dew I would not associate with "staying awake" Maybe coffee, maybe protein, but definitely not a pretty sugary substance that comes with no fat to elongate my insulin response and instead actually spikes it and then causes me to dip into a food coma very soon thereafter. That meal at 0300 had VERY little fat in it and was built to hit you hard and then leave you very tired. Next time I would try to get in a balanced meal of some sort or something more refreshing but less sugary than soda. I know you said you're trying to cut it out so I'm sure you're aware of all these things... I think associations help a lot. Associate soda with imminent sugar death. Associate protein with good energy, PRs, and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The meal at 0800 was definitely your best. Real food. Balanced, and something you'd actually want to eat!

Lastly - I'd just be careful with your dairy intake if fat loss is your goal. It's usually what I would give someone for growth... and really, anytime you're getting like 75% of your protein 75% of the time from only one thing... you can expect trouble. Variance is a good thing!

Anyway - I'm sure that you are aware of a lot of these things and I know managing your food on shift is going to be difficult... I just wanted to make sure all of the above was clear.

And of course, Greg can weigh in...