CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Was looking for some advice on flaxseed oil, In The Paleo Diet it is highly recommended. Actually he states it is the best oil out there. Yet I've heard otherwise and am confused. Any thoughts?}
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I'd be curious to see what people know too -- I put flaxseed oil in my green drinks/protein shakes, 'cause I'm not really into fish burps. What are the differences between fish oil and flax oil, positive and negative? (other than fish burps, that is)
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Glad to see I am not the only one with these thoughts...confusing sometimes ...fish caps dont seem to bother me though...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
flaxseeds and flaxseed oils are first in the chain of Omega 3 conversions, inorder to get the EPA and DHA from Fish Oil, it has to be downconverted. It's a lengthy and usually very inefficient process, therefore only getting a small % of EPA/DHA from the original Flaxseed oil. However the flaxseeds have other beneficial properties (anti estrogenic) with lignans.). I use the flaxseeds (not the oil) and the fish oil to get the EPA/DHA directly and in good quantity.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Mike,
I am having trouble following your post, is is the flax or fish oil that has to be downconverted? I use the fish oil and sprinkle flax on various food items, just want to make sure i am on the right path here.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #6

Profile:

the flax needs to be converted--terribly inefficient process, so results in nowhere near as much n-3s as you'd think you're getting, and can actually promote systemic inflammation, one of the very things n-3 supplementation intends to combat. if you're consuming flax, getting some good doses of fish oil (3-5 g/day +) is a good idea.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
So do you think flaxseed oil is worthwhile to take at all then?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Personally....not really. If you are using it just for fats, I would stick to monounsaturated sources. If you want it for anti-inflammatory purposes, Fish Oil is the most valuable Omega 3s in the form of DHA and EPA...and you would need so much flaxseed oil that would make you sick to your stomach to match 1 tbsp of fish oil. EPA/DHA is what counts in anti-inflammatory. Flaxseeds (grounded not the oil) also do have some other benefits.

Jeffrey, sorry for the confusion but Greg cleared it up..it looks like this

ALA (flaxseeds) -> XX -> XX -> EPA/DHA (fish oil)

Very simplistic, but you get less than 10% by the time it gets down to the EPA/DHA and that's assuming your conversion process is working right (enzymes and other factors)

Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Here is some great info from the man Rob Wolf on the performance menu forum.

"Flax provides a form of n-3 fatty acid that is 18 carbons long and out body needs varieties that are 22-24 carbons long. Our enzyme systems are very inefficient at this process so even if one takes a lot of flax oil it does not make much EPA or DHA (the stuff in fish oil and the fatty acids we WANT).

Part of why we want n-3 fatty acids if for the anti-inflammatory effects...well, supplementing with flax oil actually increases the amounts of inflammatory cytokines that we are trying to suppress! One step forward, two steps back. Flax oil will prevent a vegan form keeling over from fatty acid deficiency but it will not optimize performance, health or longevity."
Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Cool - thanks for the info, guys!

So, next question is -- I remember a while back someone posting a link to fish oil that was cinnamon or mint flavored and supposedly pretty tolerable. Anyone have that info?