CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I was looking through the 'Brutal Training Website' and noticed a comment about Sea salt. It is strongly recommended by them and in big quantities (if I understood correctly)(along with a whole lot of water!).
Does anyone have thoughts on this Sea salt thing? Any better than traditional? Different effects?

Thanks,
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
Traditional iodized table salt is devoid of any trace minerals. Your body needs these trace minerals to help you process the sodium. If you are using regular table salt you have to be very careful how much you use because your body can only process so much of it with the minerals you get from you diet and supplements if any. Sea salt on the other hand you can eat more or less as much as you want as long as you drink enough water. Regular table salt leaches precious minerals out of your body and can collect in your liver if too much is eaten. Another salt with a full mineral profile is Himalayan crystal salt, which I like even better than sea salt.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I think you need to take these sea salt recommendations with a...uh...grain of...salt.

I like sea salt because it tastes better. I don't think the amount of salt I use is going to add up to any real amount of minerals.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
That would be why they are called trace minerals. You don't get or need much, but they are very important to the optimal functioning of your body.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
The "Celtic" sea salt (and all the others made in the "old fashioned way) is being touted by a whole bunch of quacks to be "essential for health" and beneficial for a variety of conditionions.

The "trace" elements are not there in large enough quantities to matter. Not even for "trace" elements. It might or might not be healthier to consume than normal salt. The jury's still out on that.

Like I said, though, it does taste better, at least to me, and that's enough for me to pick some up.

However, it doesn't have iodine in it. Iodine was put into salt for a reason.