CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Alex Cunningham

Profile:
Re: Open in 6 months, want to make regionals

As stupid as this may sound, you may want to practice Fran. The final workout of the Open has always been a modified Fran with chest-to-bar pull-ups. If you can knock out rounds of 15, you should be set to go.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mitchell View Post
I want to make regionals next year and am wondering if i should do a full strength cycle or keep doing a split of strength/ olympic lifting/ WODS. My stats are:
Squat 160kgs
Bench 135kgs
Deadlift 200kgs
Press 80kgs
Front squat 130kgs
Snatch 90kgs
C&J 120kgs

I didnt compete this year and was fairly dissappointed after i did the open workouts in the last couple of months i would of placed in the rank 100s
I'm 38 years old and basically do those #'s...

that said I got no cardio to save my life. (Joys of A-Fib and having that irregular heart beat).

You need a tank... you need skills...

Be prepared to do 100 DU with basically 0-2 mess ups the whole time, muscle ups, know how to snatch well and consistently when tired.

You need a little more str to help make weights easier and you need to build that tank. 2x - day are great for helping with volume but if you cant go at a pretty good clip for 7-12 minutes (wallballs/boxjumps/burpees) be prepared to drop in rankings.

Lots of time left to build skills and get what you need
Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #13
Thomas Mitchell

Profile:

thanks guys gunna work on the skills and my engine just gunna do my best til the day i die
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
Seems kinda elitist? How many thousand people submit for the Open? Do you REALLY believe that you should only submit to the Open if you think you could podium at the Games? I understand the mentality of 'play to win', but I don't agree with this statement's tone of "if you can't win, then don't bother playing".

I say go for it. You have the 'tests and metrics' (WOD's and scores) from the past few years Opens, Regionals, and Games, develop your program to focus on meeting those metrics. If improving NEXT SEASON beyond your goal of qualifying for Regionals THIS YEAR is something you're interested in, then you'll have a learning experience this year to build on, and the training for this year would be the same either way.
While I certainly don't know for sure, I think you're misunderstanding what he was saying. If I can assume what he meant for a second....I think there is a way to place well in the Open but be very unprepared to do well at Regionals and I think that's what he was saying wouldn't be best idea. I think if you are strong enough to move the lighter weights fairly easily but have a big, big motor than you're gonna do pretty well in the Open, but when you get to Regionals the weight is going to crush you and you'll do really poorly. He specifically mentioned the starting strength numbers of the OP and was pointing out that while those numbers will allow to do fairly well in the Open, they aren't enough to make any waves at Regionals.

Now if you're goal is simply to do well in the Open and "show up" at Regionals then great, go for it. But in order to perform well, he'll have to increase his strength numbers as well as his engine, I think that's all Richard was trying to point out. Not something along the lines of "either aim for Rich or don't aim at all."
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 08-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
While I certainly don't know for sure, I think you're misunderstanding what he was saying.
I'll give the benefit of the doubt that I may have misinterpreted his response, but I've read it 6 ways to Sunday and still get the same impression from this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I know the goal is make regionals and you want baby steps - Open>Regions>Games>Podium>Win but why make it there to not be able to give it an honest run?
Exactly to your point Charles, there is a way to do well in the Open that would mean pitiful failure at the Regional and Games levels. The OP seems as if he knows what to expect: he did the Open WOD's from last season, and claimed he would have fell in the top 100, never mentioned that he thought he was a Games contender, and therefore he is motivated to 'make regionals' next season.

"Why make it there to not be able to give it an honest run?" Some people run/walk 5k's and consider that a lifetime accomplishment, and for some people, it really is. Making Regionals is pretty wicked, even if you crash and burn when they start stacking on the weight.

So if I'm misinterpreting the words on the page, then my original comment still stands, "seems sort of elitist", because it DOES seem that way, even if it isn't meant to. Not taking a shot at Richard for the statement really, because I tend to agree with the mentality of 'go big or go home', but not everybody follows that mantra. As long as Thomas has realistic expectations and wants to accomplish the goal, I say go for it.

It could be worse, at least it's Crossfit, he could be aiming at a Bowling Trophy...

Last edited by Dakota Base : 08-20-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I will chime in on this because it is somewhat near and dear to me, especially right now. My own personal goal is to make it to Regionals. I may be in the minority in that I totally understand what I actually have to be good at in order to make it there and subsequently to be competitive beyond that. I have no intent at making waves at the Regional level, I just think at my age (coming up 37), it would be cool to compete. In order to make that happen there will need to be a priority on building a huge engine to ensure I qualify, while strength will likely play second fiddle. And knowing all of this, I am fine with it because it is MY goal. I know full well I am likely to get hammered by some of the weights if I qualify, but I am fine with that. Once the engine is built it isn't like it magically goes away, so after I have that base I can start to address some of the other weaknesses.

As far as the OP was concerned. I maintain his strength numbers are just fine for what he needs to do and that likely he needs to start shifting his focus towards building the engine.

Contrary to what some might have you believe it isn't that easy to do. The Open workouts are designed to make you suffer and are about aerobic engine, strength endurance, barbell efficiency and the ability to take the pain moreso than strength. For 90% of peope that qualified last year, the heaviest weight they did was snatch 165# for 10-12 reps.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Another one of our coaches and myself just started training in earnest for the 2014 Open this week. Plan is to hit an Open WOD from 2011-2013 or some variant of them on Monday and Friday every week until game time. Yes, we still will work strength, high/odd skill stuff, goats, etc., but at least the type of metcon focus should shift to reflect that priority since we're both bubble qualifiers (I barely made it to Regionals last year and she almost made it). We also both have pretty good strength foundation so Regionals would not be crushingly difficult if we just maintain current levels.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I agree that open is almost all engine and skills and determination

Getting one of those top 60 spots is about how fast and hard you can move.

Why don't we see a lot of Clydesdale men (outside of the occasional game one) because light weight body weight and engine is what you need for the open.

I've have old coaching partners who have made the regionals (some multiple times) and the engine is what gets them there alongside their ability to do everything without mistakes and pushing past the pain.

Want to kill the open: engine, muscle endurance, skills, determination.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
I'll give the benefit of the doubt that I may have misinterpreted his response, but I've read it 6 ways to Sunday and still get the same impression from this line:

Exactly to your point Charles, there is a way to do well in the Open that would mean pitiful failure at the Regional and Games levels. The OP seems as if he knows what to expect: he did the Open WOD's from last season, and claimed he would have fell in the top 100, never mentioned that he thought he was a Games contender, and therefore he is motivated to 'make regionals' next season.

"Why make it there to not be able to give it an honest run?" Some people run/walk 5k's and consider that a lifetime accomplishment, and for some people, it really is. Making Regionals is pretty wicked, even if you crash and burn when they start stacking on the weight.

So if I'm misinterpreting the words on the page, then my original comment still stands, "seems sort of elitist", because it DOES seem that way, even if it isn't meant to. Not taking a shot at Richard for the statement really, because I tend to agree with the mentality of 'go big or go home', but not everybody follows that mantra. As long as Thomas has realistic expectations and wants to accomplish the goal, I say go for it.

It could be worse, at least it's Crossfit, he could be aiming at a Bowling Trophy...
Maybe you're right, who knows. Things often get misintrepreted online so I tend to try and assume the best.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
I know the goal is make regionals and you want baby steps - Open>Regions>Games>Podium>Win but why make it there to not be able to give it an honest run?
For many a CrossFitter, just getting to the Regionals (or even a top 50% showing in the Open) is a great achievement in itself. It shows progress, and shows the athlete what they need to work on. If someone makes it to regionals but falls out early, they know what areas to work on the next year to both get through the Open and do well in regionals. If they decide to pack it in after that, they have a great achievement non the less.