CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Matt Corley

Profile:
Hylete Convertible Gear Bag Review

The review is here (same words but with active links and pics):
http://bjjlegends.com/bjj/jiujitsu/i...tible-backpack wfs

Train to push yourself both mentally and physically; Compete to improve yourself, as well as those around you; and Live to be healthy in mind, body and soul. Hylete

You may remember Hylete from our review last year of their Compete 1.0 shorts. Since then Iíve become a regular customer buying their shorts, compression gear and even a shirt for my oldest. In July they added a gear bag to their product list. The bag is a voluminous backpack that can be converted to shoulder strapped equipment bag for extra storage. The bag has: a shoe locker, wet storage area, tablet sleeve, side-pocket cooler, metal buckles and comes with a 2 year warrantee. As a bonus to our readers please use the code: LEGENDS25 to get 25% off this or any Hylete product.

A backpack is a backpack, right? Maybe not. I beat my gear up pretty badly. Partly because I review it and also because Iím just not careful (Iíve been known to break bag buckles by shutting my car door on them). I was sent this backpack at the beginning of July and have been using it daily ever since. The characteristics that I noticed immediately: very good looking bag, metal buckles, kind of heavy and huge storage capacity. The pack easily and quickly converts to a duffle bag which adds a separate compartment for shoes and some other accessories. You can still use the backpack straps when this compartment is expanded.

The interior of the main compartment has a padded sleeve for tablet/laptop, a pocket specifically for glasses and a small clear plastic pocket. The compartment itself can hold up to three A3 gis. The outside of the bag has a separate compartment for sweaty clothes. This pocket can be expanded outward to hold a gi, shorts and compression gear. The backpack is flanked by storage pockets on each side. One of the pockets is insulated and can be used a cooler. These pockets worked well for by belt, water bottle and miscellaneous gear (tape, keys, wallet, phone & mouthpiece) that I wanted to keep handy.

If needed there is an additional compartment that can be expanded at the base of the bag. This area has a shoe locker and two more segregated areas for other gear. The pocket is normally reserved for when itís been converted to a duffle bag but you can still use the backpack straps if wanted.

Test Run:
It holds a lot of gear. More than I take to the gym actually. I routinely have everything I need for two separate classes in it. All of my gi stuff, all of my NoGi stuff and all the accoutrements of takings two kids to the gym (wet wipes, extra clothes, etcÖ). Based purely on storage this bag is definitely bigger than Modern Flowís bag and a bit larger than Originís Mundial (especially when the expandable compartments are used).

The buckles are metal, the straps have all been heat sealed and the zipper ties are solid. Those are the three things that I usually break and I donít see them being an issue with this bag. The comments that Iíve seen from Crossfit users on the bags quality has been universally positive.

The feature that I thought Iíd never use but really like is the insulated side pocket. Iíve made recovery drinks (cold water and some ice) come back to them in 2 hours and theyíre still cold. Chugging a room temp recovery shake after training can be pretty unappealing and now thatís a thing of the past.
Outside of training the bag is big enough that I use it for work travel (and is subtle enough that I donít get ďyou train UFC?Ē comments when my co-workers/clients see it).

Special Consideration:
The 2 year warranty really sets Hylete apart. Gear isnít cheap and Iím sure that everyone has wished they had an extended warranty at some point. Hopefully youíll never have to use it but it sure is nice that itís there.

Wrap Up:
For those with the means, itís $120 (after a 25% discount using LEGENDS25 coupon code), Iíd recommend this gear bag,. What youíll get is a high-end gear bag that will serve you well for all your training and travel needs. The warranty also insures that youíre not going to have to worry about buying a replacement anytime soon. The bag is available in 9 different color options.

Be sure keep on eye on Hyleteís Facebook page where they regularly have sales and coupons to take some sting out (and they combine with our discount). You can also follow them on Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 AM   #2
Greg Hammond

Profile:
Re: Hylete Convertible Gear Bag Review

I have had my bag since the Games and I love it too. It is very well thought out! Now if I can remember to take the sweaty clothes out of it! At least the section for wet clothes keeps the rest of my gear dry and it is easy to clean.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Ralphie_Martinez

Profile:

I love this bag, it replaced my old laptop backpack, and now i don't even need my lunch pale to bring to work due to the side pocket. The pockets are well big enough for anything work related I need to hoist around, as well as the convertable gym bag mode for all of my shoes, extra clothes. My friend saw mine, wanted one, his strap broke (probably due to his whole wardrobe in it), but their customer service sent us a new one, and paid for the return shipping. I have had no issues with mine, his new one came within 2 business days of ordering, and his roommate wanted one and has had no issues. Great quality of all items (my whole garage gym has ordered at least a t shirt) and the customer service is on a top level. Will be a return customer as long as they are in business. Great review too by the way
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

I received mine about a week ago and I love it! It's VERY solid-the zippers are surprisingly beefy. I have one for my gym bag and I may get another one just for work.