CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
Daniel Mendez

Profile:
Failed in a very heavy snatch.

Today i did 5 singles of 96% of my 1rm (170 lbs) and i failed on 3 out of 5 of them.... Today just wasn't a good day, but on one of the snatches that i failed, the bar ended up going behind my head a little and i caught it 1/2 of the way up. I wasn't able to press the bar up and it ended up falling with my full strength trying to push it up. As it came down behind my head ( like behind the head lat pull downs ) i heard the upper spinal cord pop a bunch of times. After it popped i realized i wasn't going to save it, so i jumped forward and let the bar fall.

Should i be concerned with the popping in my upper spine? I didn't feel any immediate pain, but i just have some typical soreness right now (probably because of heavy back squats). Your thoughts?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Tyler Goerlitz

Profile:
Re: Failed in a very heavy snatch.

I donno about the injury but trying to do 5 singles at 96% seems like a stretch to me. I would go lighter and get the reps rather than try to go heavy, especially if things are off that day. I could be totally wrong here just my .02
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

Yea im not so sure how serious youre hurt, but if i heard ANYthing in my freakin spine pop a bunch of times i would definitely get checked out. And like Tyler said, 95% of your 1RM should not be done for more than a single or double rep at one time. If you want to keep the rep range at 5 you need to back off your percentages to avoid getting further injured.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

No idea about the "spine-popping"; you'll have to use your common sense on that one.

Regarding the lifting, learn when to bail. Sounds like you were attempting to save an un-save-able lift.

And, contrary to the other advice above, I think 5 snatch singles at a high percentage of 1RM is just fine for a training day.

Hope that helps,
-Boz
Old 02-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Daniel Mendez

Profile:

Thanks. I'm doing a bulgarian program to help increase my maxes. This is my 3rd cycle of it and its working very well. I have no pain in my neck as of today, so i don't think i hurt myself but i was pretty scared at the time. Snatches are really hard to abort.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Your definition of "upper spine" needs a bit of clarification. If you're talking about the cervical part of your spine, I might be concerned. I can pop almost my entire thoracic by simply pinching my shoulder blades together.

Also, I'd like to echo what Boz said. Learn when to bail. Too many people are dislocating elbows and shoulders trying to save bad snatches when they shouldn't. Don't be that guy.