CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Brian Kegel

Profile:
Winning the warm up

So I've been doing Crossfit for a few months and I just need some clarification. Is the warm up a warm up? You often see it said (even T-shirts) "our warm up is harder than your workout" and I have to say that often I am gassed or partially gassed by the time the warm up is over. When I was running track a warm up was a warm up and used to get loose and prep for the up coming work out. There was no glory in busting out a killer warm up, the joke being you win the warm up because you won't win anything else. So, back to Crossfit, what is the deal with the warm up, is it to warm up for the WOD or is it part of the workout that needs to be attacked just like the WOD?

The reason I bring this up is I was never much of a warm up person, when I was younger I needed very little warm up to compete and the longer I warmed up the poorer I'd perform (I liked being a little tight). Now that I'm older, I do need a longer warm up, but again not too long. I have found that if I do what I need for the warm up and not really put lots of effort into it I do much better in the WOD. I guess the question is is the WOD the end all be all focus of the workout and everything else is to support getting ready for the WOD or is the WOD just a part of the workout?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Mike McDaniel

Profile:
Re: Winning the warm up

I'm not a coach or anything, but I think you're over thinking it... When I'm working out, I use the warm up as a way to warm up. Nothing more, nothing less.
I usually get a little winded or have a light sweat going... Enough so you're ready for the WOD.
Do what YOU need to do to prepare for the workout so you can give your best....don't worry about winning the warmup or what everyone else at your gym is doing.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

At our box the warmup is usually scribbled on the board or a small dry-erase board when we come in. It is to be taken at your pace, and if the warm up has say, pullups in it and the WOD for the day has a bunch of pullups too you could always decrease the number of pullups or not do them at all to save yourself. Also the warmup "as written" isnt mandantory, but it usually has several stretches or mobility work that will allow you to perform better in the WOD. You should be breathing a little harder and sweating a little after this because you want your heart rate to be elevated before you hit the workout, otherwise it will spike as soon as you start the WOD and most likely hurt your performance.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Your warm up should not be anyone's work out in my opinion, and I see this vary greatly from box to box.

I don't think pull ups, burpees, box jumps and the like belong in any warm up.

Warm ups should be dynamic movement prep and mobility. Our warm ups are all instructor led and usually begin with a 400m run, row, or DU work.. Circle up and run through neck, shoulder cirlces, inch worms, pigeon, down dog, PVC work like dislocates, presses, high pulls, squats. Then some additional travelling passes like high knees, butt kicks, drop lunges, over/unders etc.

Days where the programming is shoulder heavy we'll pay some extra attention to mobilizing shoulders. Hip heavy days, same goes.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

We have a standard warm-up we use often. It used to just say do 12 reps of a list of things. Recently I rewrote it with rep options of 6,9,12,15 or 20 because I do want it to be just a warm-up and not take away from the met-con. By rewriting this way people get to choose a correct number of reps for themselves.

Of course they are CrossFitter so I have to explain it is not a race to see who can do 20 of everything first..........

Also all my people know if there are a lot of pull-ups in the met-con then just do a couple in the warm-up.

This works well to A) get people safely warmed up and ready to go and B) to provide regular volume on things like pull-ups, GHD sit-ups, push-ups and so on so newer people can use the warm-up to slowly build capacity.

A correct warm-up should not take away from your performance in a workout.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Having been to a dozen+ boxes... some warm ups are very light and relaxing and more stretching based... others are more like a mini workout... while other still have little to no workout and the coaches just don't believe in stretching.

I usually just adapt my PRE-warmup (ha i know) to however the box warms up. If they are doing some type of mini wod beforehand... I make sure to get there 5 mins before to warm my body up (on a cold day) or loosen my muscles with some dynamic stretches.

If they believe in a easy stretching warmup... then i usually try to perform a few reps of the exercises coming up prior to a wod or work into the strength portion a bit slower.

THAT IS WHAT I DO. Having said that... just feel out whatever you need. If you want to crush the wod, and they have a mini wod beforehand... then simply go a bit slower and pace yourself during their mini wod warmup.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kegel View Post
So I've been doing Crossfit for a few months and I just need some clarification. Is the warm up a warm up? You often see it said (even T-shirts) "our warm up is harder than your workout" and I have to say that often I am gassed or partially gassed by the time the warm up is over. When I was running track a warm up was a warm up and used to get loose and prep for the up coming work out. There was no glory in busting out a killer warm up, the joke being you win the warm up because you won't win anything else. So, back to Crossfit, what is the deal with the warm up, is it to warm up for the WOD or is it part of the workout that needs to be attacked just like the WOD?

The reason I bring this up is I was never much of a warm up person, when I was younger I needed very little warm up to compete and the longer I warmed up the poorer I'd perform (I liked being a little tight). Now that I'm older, I do need a longer warm up, but again not too long. I have found that if I do what I need for the warm up and not really put lots of effort into it I do much better in the WOD. I guess the question is is the WOD the end all be all focus of the workout and everything else is to support getting ready for the WOD or is the WOD just a part of the workout?
We win your warm-up would be a funny CF hate T-shirt.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

I don't think it should be competitive, but I think its generally a good thing to be a little winded after a warm up.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Charles Golden

Profile:

Sort of off topic but still warmup related, does anyone have a preference on "standard" warmups vs. warmups that are different or tailored to that days WOD.

At my gym we've got one coach who has the exact same warmup every time, he litterally doesn't even have to be there anymore, we all know it by heart (we'll of course warm up the lifts before lifting seperate from the "standard" warmup). Then our other coach sorta takes pride in, changing up the warmup every day.

Is one really better than the other?
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Richard Doughty

Profile:

To me warm up should be all movement pattern based
You just basically do things that are going to keep you from getting injured during your work out
Example before heavy squatting i (and what I have my clients do)
Inch worms ,leg swings , over head squats , glute med band walks ,cook hip lifts
Some planks not to fatigue at all
Then some shoulder stuff because some peoples shoulder mobility restricts their ability to back squat
So dislocations and variations on band pull apart are my favs.

I'm just a regular private studio trainer but warming up by just doing the movements you are going to do and not addressing possible compensations sounds like a bad idea to me