CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Just Protein w/ nothing else? anywhere?

i am wondering if there is a place to find just straight protein powder with nothing else in it? no color, flavor, sweetner, nothing. just protein. i looked on a few custom protein websites but even if you order just straight protein they include soy as an ingredient. can you find just a pure protein powder with nothing else anywhere? and does anyone know why they feel the need to add soy? Chris Mason?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Alex D Wood

Profile:
Re: Just Protein w/ nothing else? anywhere?

Stronger Faster Healthier has "Pure Whey," which has 3 ingredients (Whey (29.5g), Sunflower lecithin (0.3g), and stevia (0.2g)). It's 35 dollars for 30 servings... Not sure if this is what you were looking for...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

I'm pretty sure soy lecithin is used to increase mix-ability of the powder.

lecithin is derived from soy oil. While not the best thing in the world it's practically devoid of proteins hence making it more or less non-allergenic.

For a paleo purist there are other issues with soy and soy products that some people can get spun up about.

For me if it was a choice between affordable protein vs insanely expensive protein I'd probably look the other way on the lecithin. In fact I'm doing so right now and have been taking a protein powder for a few months and haven't noticed any real issues. Aside from some acne but I'm attributing that to the dairy portion of things.

Or just eat more chicken?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

IronMind has had this available for a long time.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...stprotein.html
(Link is WFS)

No personal experience with it, but it might be up your alley.

-Boz
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Nathan Schnur

Profile:

I used http://www.truenutrition.com/ (WFS)

FWIW- You can make a custom blend of pretty much whatever type of protein you want. I did a blend that was comparable to Progenex, but close to 1/2 the price.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

upgradedself.com has a product called upgraded whey. Here is the description from theire website.

"Upgraded Whey is the result of years of testing ways to upgrade what was already the purest pasture raised whey on earth.

We start with the finest pasture raised non-denatured whey protein concentrate made from milk (not cheese by-products.)

Then we add powdered coconut MCT oil (medium chain triglyceride) to boost energy levels and make you feel satisfied for far longer than you’d expect.

And we finish it off by adding pharmaceutical-grade bovine serum albumin, which is over 50% immune stimulating compounds.

The end result is Upgraded Whey, which has up to 5 times the growth and immune stimulating proteins (IGG) as normal whey."

http://www.upgradedself.com/upgraded-whey.html

I use discount code 104TEAMUSA to get 10% off. I usually just mix it with gatorade post workout or blend it up in fruit smoothies for breakfast. Pretty good natural protein supplement.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Schnur View Post

FWIW- You can make a custom blend of pretty much whatever type of protein you want. I did a blend that was comparable to Progenex, but close to 1/2 the price.

I would recommend these guys as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i am wondering if there is a place to find just straight protein powder with nothing else in it? no color, flavor, sweetner, nothing. just protein. i looked on a few custom protein websites but even if you order just straight protein they include soy as an ingredient. can you find just a pure protein powder with nothing else anywhere? and does anyone know why they feel the need to add soy? Chris Mason?
They don't need to add the lecithin. The other fellow mentioned why they do.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Michael Allen

Profile:

Quote:

Ordered some mixes from these guys before. Great products and I love the customization.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Allen View Post
Ordered some mixes from these guys before. Great products and I love the customization.
that is one of the sites i looked at. if you look at the protein individually you will see that the soy lecithin is added to almost all of them, especially the whey. that is what i wanted was to go to one of these sites and just get a mix of whey/casein with nothing else. i guess i may have to just settle for it with a little soy lecithin. and i don't care about the paleo aspect at all. but i do try to avoid soy for many reasons.