CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #671
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: 2013 Open, Regionals and Games Thread

The whole point of the Open for 99.993% of us is to have fun and compete with yourself and others on a grand scale. On all WODs you get to compete with the world and on the repeat WOD, you get a chance to kick your own a$$.

Saying that 12.1 + 12.2 = 13.1 is completely asinine. Yeah, they have the same moves, but the time domains and combinations are so different. I personally think it was a genius WOD in terms of balance - gymnastics, strength, and skill.

I think the real problem is that you have the CrossFit OGs who just want CrossFit to stick to its roots. Meanwhile, CFHQ is trying to satisfy them and keep it universally accessible (i.e. not starting a WOD w/ MUs or using specific equipment).
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #672
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Not sure how a 20 rep improvement is fishy.

If you really sucked hard on WBs and DUs then it will have slowed you down. To me all three of these movements are Crossfit specific skills that you need to regularly practice and get good at.

The WBs are just really light thrusters and the DUs, well if you do a lot of them, you should be able to bust through 90 pretty easily. Same for muscle ups. If you never do them you will be bad at them. I reckon there were some people who just were too slow through the WB and DU last year that could do MUs but never got a chance.

Me personally, I have improved all three of these skills in the last year. I can finally hit about 50 WBs UB, just hit a PR for consecutive DUs at 328 and MUs at 7. I am hoping to give myself at least 3 minutes with the MUs.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #673
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Not sure how a 20 rep improvement is fishy.

If you really sucked hard on WBs and DUs then it will have slowed you down. To me all three of these movements are Crossfit specific skills that you need to regularly practice and get good at.

The WBs are just really light thrusters and the DUs, well if you do a lot of them, you should be able to bust through 90 pretty easily. Same for muscle ups. If you never do them you will be bad at them. I reckon there were some people who just were too slow through the WB and DU last year that could do MUs but never got a chance.

Me personally, I have improved all three of these skills in the last year. I can finally hit about 50 WBs UB, just hit a PR for consecutive DUs at 328 and MUs at 7. I am hoping to give myself at least 3 minutes with the MUs.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #674
Andy Luten

Profile:

I liked getting another crack at this one. Tried a different strategy than I did last year and did much better.

They are limited to certain movements in the Open because you have to be able to judge it on a video.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #675
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

I'm pretty stoked on this repeat.

In a lot of ways this is the ideal open workout, inclusive, skill based separation potential and fairly easy to judge.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #676
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
just hit a PR for consecutive DUs at 328
Good lawd! Very nice!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #677
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

If you want to see how much you have progressed you can repeat any of past year's open workouts whenever you want

How hard can it be to come up with some kind of variation at least ?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #678
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
You're a different case. I'm talking about guys who got 241-250ish and are putting up scores of 280-290. If you didn't have muscle ups last year, hell yeah you should pr!
awww... now I feel all special =D
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #679
John Holcombe

Profile:

So I did Fran on Monday and I'm still sore from it in my quads which is very surprising to me because I usually never get that sore but how much are these wall balls going to tax my quads? My butt and hamstrings are pretty much recovered. should I wait a day?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #680
Lex Ozias

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gonzalez View Post
Very true, 13.1 was just 12.1 and 12.2 combined, 13.2 was very similar to 12.3 expect for deadlifts replaced T2B. And obviously 13.3 is identical to 12.4. So far we only have 1 thing different from last year. Looks like we know exactly what to train for next year.
You are exactly right. I don't want to be a hater but so far the movements have been exactly the same other than the deadlift. And in 2011 there was high rep deadlift and box jump. why not sub 45# thrusters for wall balls. or 45# overhead squat. 150 of those would be good. The problem with me is every gym out there redid these open wods thinking they wod come up in the open and they were right which means its nothing new. I just did this wod less than a month ago and got 255 so seeing it come up is a disapointment because I have already done it and so has 100,000 other people. Constantly varied is what crossfit is and I think so far we have not done that. I love what they are doing but think they could come up with wods that are different every year but still suit everyone.