CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Kane Greene

Profile:
Try this Strength + CrossFit Program starting July 30th

So the title looks a little familiar. It should, I ran the same thing last year in August with our regular affiliate programming. We're taking another run at this, only it's a lot more complex and it works a lot better.

First, I'm the owner of CrossFit Fairbanks. We are an affiliate with a huge strength bias. For CrossFitters, my guys and girls that have been with me for any length of time are way above average on the strength curve compared to what you would normally encounter in a CrossFit Gym. In the last year we have taken boatloads of state records in Powerlifting and recently took a few in Olympic lifting.

No one ever really put too much thought at my gym into competing at CrossFit. We have a local competition I put on every year, but other than that... not much in Alaska for competitive CrossFitting. We had one girl qualify for regionals this year. She did pretty well for someone doing the open for kicks. She placed 25th overall for female individual. After that there was more interest in competing at CrossFit. So naturally I'll meet the demand with a badass program.

So in the last few months we've been testing it out on a few of our more advanced folks. So far so good. We've been smashing PRs in the strength arena and improving everything else along the way. I'm kind of geeky when it comes to programming. I enjoy it probably more than I enjoy working out(and that's my #1 hobby). So I wanted to see how it would work on a larger scale.

So I bring you to www.movefastliftheavy.com (w/f/s) (note: website is pretty barebones right now.)

I started a separate blog from our affiliate page because it would get ridiculously crowded if it was all on one posting.

We use a WestSide template.... Mon-ME Lower, Wed-- ME Upper, Fr- DE Lower, Sa-- DE Upper for our baseline strength program. Then there is Olympic lifting layered in throughout as well as your normal metcons and/or gymnastic skill work. I've used the general WestSide concept for the framework and built around it. The downside is that it is 6 days a week of training. BUT so far with the people we've been testing it on, it kicks ***. You just have to be dedicated to training.

I've already updated the blog for Monday(start day). All I ask if you follow it is that you post your daily stats to comments. I'd like to be able to reference numbers, that is all.

If you decide to give it a try and ever have questions post in this thread, or email me directly at kane@crossfitfairbanks.com. I'll help however I can.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Program starting July 30th

Day 1 looks interesting. How long per workout?

I like looking at it but to be honest, it is doubtful I will ever try it though I might reccomend it to others. For now, I pretty much like what I would do the most. Though honestly, I might just follow what the box does and shrug. It's kind of where in I am, mindset wise, lately.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Very interesting again kane. When will you be posting the workouts up for each day (curious for us europeans)?

Richard
Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Kane, that sounds great. I also like your schedule. Makes it easier to do full body splits without overtraining. The one thing I started doing recently was to warm up with the core work. I like it as a nice starter.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Kane Greene

Profile:

Blaire,

Minimum time will be probably right around 60 minutes. The norm will be right around 90, some days pushing 2 hours. Most of it depends on how much screwing around you do between exercises.

Richard,

I'm in Alaska, we are one hour behind pacific time and 4 hours behind east coast time. I typically(unless something extremely rare and strange happens) update between 8-10 p.m. my time. You can do the math for where you are

Paulos,

I've thought about that. It's not that taxing and is almost a good warm up. And I know ab work is easy to skip at the end of a long workout.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Kane,
out of curiosity what would the tuesday/thursday training sessions look like since there not part of the westside strength program (I'm assuming wed,fri,sat would look similar to mondays layout).
Would there still be some form of strength or would it just be a shorter conditioning based day?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Kane Greene

Profile:

Evan,

I've never been to WestSide personally, but I promise you those guys are not just doing 4 workouts a week. They are probably getting between 8-15 if I were taking a guess. There are extra workouts and special exercise days. Our Tuesday and Thursday are special exercise days.

We use Tuesday for the C&J. Typically block work for the clean. Sometimes we may do the lifts together, it just depends. We also may work some gymnastic work and/or metcon.

Thursday is based around the Snatch. We will typically do power versions on Thursday, with the full lift on ME day(monday).

Metcons will be spread throughout. Some days they may fall on ME day, DE, or special exercise days. It's really just going to depend on what is going on. At this point in training, 2-3 true CrossFit workouts a week. We will ramp up volume on the CrossFitting the closer we get to the open.

I'll also be adding an addon page for extra workouts. If I had everything dialed in and had time I'd be putting in at least 10-12 workouts per week. Mostly extra workouts will be based around weaknesses and skill work. Short and sweet. As we get rolling I'll be adding extra supplemental work you can do if you have the time.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Evan,

I've never been to WestSide personally, but I promise you those guys are not just doing 4 workouts a week. They are probably getting between 8-15 if I were taking a guess. There are extra workouts and special exercise days. Our Tuesday and Thursday are special exercise days.

We use Tuesday for the C&J. Typically block work for the clean. Sometimes we may do the lifts together, it just depends. We also may work some gymnastic work and/or metcon.

Thursday is based around the Snatch. We will typically do power versions on Thursday, with the full lift on ME day(monday).

Metcons will be spread throughout. Some days they may fall on ME day, DE, or special exercise days. It's really just going to depend on what is going on. At this point in training, 2-3 true CrossFit workouts a week. We will ramp up volume on the CrossFitting the closer we get to the open.

I'll also be adding an addon page for extra workouts. If I had everything dialed in and had time I'd be putting in at least 10-12 workouts per week. Mostly extra workouts will be based around weaknesses and skill work. Short and sweet. As we get rolling I'll be adding extra supplemental work you can do if you have the time.
The extra workout page sounds like an awesome idea. I often finish my days training and feel like I should have done more and that adding stuff would benefit me, but I wouldn't be able to do that in ky own without messing up the program.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Christopher Taylor

Profile:

Hey Kane,
I just read your FAQ and this intro page, I'm in dude. I'm currently in Afghanistan until December or November and then I'll be back in Anchorage. I'll come by when we get back. Due to limited resources I'll try to make do with what I can. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

So being bored and trying to distract myself from doing anything useful, I went over OPT's program and reading the Outlaw Manifesto and then comparing it to yours.

I see a bit of similarity between yours and Outlaw but you use A LOT more assistance work. More specialized as well.

I like that reading yours and Outlaw does not require a nifty decoder ring like OPT's. Seriously.

Olympic work is similar. Low volume, high intensity pretty much often.

It will be interesting to see your programming as far as gymnastics.

I'm not really sure if I would do either, as I really LOVE Olympic Lifting (but I'm not really sure I have or will have the time to train like that anymore or access). And I like screwing around with gymnastics. I'm past the whole focused training with it though, I think.

Yours or Outlaw might be something I could do at a CF box without ****ing off the owners (aka my friends who let me train at their gyms).

This is gonna sound funny, but I think somewhere in there has got to be some sort of endurance work. If not for anything else but for recovery. It can row/bike/swim/run, whatever. More so, on your own or afterwards. Build up that pathway.

I do think it's kind of nice that both can be done in all under 2 hours. No need to do split workouts. A pain to manage for those who aren't CF gym owners/trainers or have their own decked out setup.