CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
diet review

Height/ weight : 145 @ 5'9. I've been gaining about 2lbs a week for awhile, (which is slow i know, but i am getting to my goal weight.)

Ive been having success on my current diet, but someone told me that i have to much protein and it doesn't look right so i want your opinions ( fwiw I've gained 20lbs total on this diet, added 45/50/20 lbs to my squat/dead/press respectively while also getting better at BW movements(MU's, ring HSPU,) and getting faster in rowing).

Prewo- Bcaa/ coffee
Post WO- BCaa (or whey shake), creatine, fish oil
breakfast- 5 eggs, handfull mixed nuts
lunch- 12oz chicken breast, large mixed green salad w/grilled vegetables, and olive oil
Dinner- 160z grilled bison, 1-2 eggs, 12oz broccoli/onions/peppers

for reference, I'm allergic to milk, and most fruits with pits/seeds, and have limited access to yams etc at my university.

overall is my diet alright, and if I've been improving on it shouldn't it be okay? or should i take the advice of the people @my box and reduce my meat/protein consumption?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: diet review

First, gaining two pounds a week is not by any stretch of the imagination slow. That's almost 10 pounds a month; that's fast! It's very hard to make quality gains at that rate.

Second, your protein intake is probably more than you need, but it's not incredibly excessive. It really depends on what your goal weight is. Right now, you're eating maintenance levels for a 180-200 pound athlete. That being said, I wouldn't worry about cutting it back until you reach your goal. Better to eat more than you need than not enough while you're gaining.

At some point, you're probably going to need to up your carb intake. Right now, you're probably getting enough, but as your mass increases and your engine gets bigger you're going to require more fuel.

Bottom line, if you're getting the results that you want, then what you're doing is working. When it stops working, then worry about changing your diet. If you see a drop in metcon performance, add more carbs. If you stop gaining mass or strength, increase your protein. If you get to your goal weight and keep gaining, then cut back.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: diet review

Some carbs post workout are a good idea normally.