CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
David Lee Alexander

Profile:
Smolov Cycle ?'s

I have been hearing of Crossfitters doing a Smolov squat cycle with some pretty decent results. I was wondering if someone, who has completed a cycle, could answer a few questions.

1. What kind of gains did you experience?
2. Did you still incorporate Metcons in with your cycle, ony on off cycle days, or not at all?
3. How did you approach your nutrition during the cycle?
4. Can the cycle be used for other lifts ie. bench, strict press, DL?
5. Can you share the exact daily program you followed?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: Smolov Cycle ?'s

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69277

Thats why we have that thread. All your questions should be answered in there. If not you can feel free to ask.

1. In the thread above, but people gain anywhere from 25-45 lbs on their max for the base mesocycle, and an ADDITIONAL 25-45 on the intense mesocycle. So anywhere from 50-90 lbs (or more depending on different factors)

2. Absolutely not. If you do extra work, limit it to bench press, press or pullups. Nothing that involves legs or lower back.

3. Eat everything you can find.

4. Yes, but its reccommended that you use the "Smolov Jr." cycle for other.

5. In the thread above. I'm personally using the excel template from stronglifts. A quick google search should pull it up.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 10-14-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Height, weight, age, squat numbers currently? Why do people not feel this is pertinent info? Also unless you are already a good squatter and I am talking 350 or more I do not believe smolov is for you. I think people jump to smolov waaaayyyy to quickly because some "bro" gained this much or that. Maybe you should really push the envelope of that 5x5 or 3x5 if your legs arent shaking and your hamstrings dont hurt a little after a set of 5x5 squats you didnt go heavy enough because you were too afraid to get pinned by a squat.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I didn't know what his squat numbers, bodyweight or height were. I was just answering the questions he asked the forum. If he's only got like a 250 or 275 1 rep max then his answer is a linear progression program with lots of eating.

I did starting strength until I stalled a few times at 325x5. Then I just did regular 3x5 once a week and got to 340x5 (with many resets). It was then I decided I needed a change.

My height/weight before starting was 5'11 215. My highest attempted squat 1 rep is 365 weighing at around 205. I could probably have hit 375 or 380 before starting this but I plugged in 370 as my max because I'd rather be conservative than overestimate.

Also, I'm still in the middle of the intro cycle and I get about 3500 calories a day.

Going to post my total progress to that other thread as I go on.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 10-14-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

If you embark on this program, you better not skimp on your sleep or nutrition. Recovery is everything when embarking on a high volume squatting program!!!

Also, if you have done a true max, it doesn't hurt to scale it back 5-10% to base your program off of. This allows you to have more success without stalling all the time.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
David Lee Alexander

Profile:

I am 29 yrs old, 6'3", 190 lbs (down from 230 in June),former collegiate baseball player, but VERY LITTLE fitness/weightroom experience before I began Crossfit in April, and my squat max is around 280. I struggle with my form, I think due to poor flexibility in my hips (I tend to fall backwards when squating instead of forward like most people), but I have gotten a TON better since I began Crossfit in April (I could barely squat 175 and my depth and form were aweful). I did not realize that I should be stronger before beginning a Smolov program. Someone had just said they and others had gotten much stronger since starting it.

I want to still do Metcons 2-3 days a week in order to maintain my work capacity but I really want to get much stronger, particularly with squat and bench or press. What are some ideas for accomplishing this while still doing Metcons? I am still a newbie so please explain in very elementary terms what I could be doing (please don't say stuff like "just do a linear progression program" because I have no freakin clue what the heck that means).
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Crossfit Football
70s Big Strength and Conditioning Program
Westside Conjugate Strength and Conditioning Program
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lee Alexander View Post
(please don't say stuff like "just do a linear progression program" because I have no freakin clue what the heck that means).
Then you need to start "searching" more. Your specific needs (strength + metcons) have been addressed MULTIPLE times.

Had you taken the time to scroll down 4-5 posts, you would have found the other Smolov post which would have answered most, if not all, of your original questions.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

My squat was 285, and I really just did (am doing) it for the challenge. I jumped 40lbs in the base cycle. I would not recommend it if you are not making strength no. 1 on the training list for the next 3 months.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
David Lee Alexander

Profile:

Instead of doing the Smolov, what if I just did the following:

M,W,F a.m.
Strength:5x5-Squat-Front/Back, 5x5-Press-Bench/Strict, 5x5 Clean/Snatch

M,W,F p.m.
Various Metcon

T,R a.m. and/or p.m.
Various Metcon and Skill work-gymnastics, bodyweight, etc...

Is this not enough off time? Will my strength gains suffer? In a 5x5 program, what should my proper percentages be?

Thanks for any help.