CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #91
Josh Bailey

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
I though the biking was awesome and cannot wait for the Eliptical event in the 2012 games where you are only allowed to get off when you "feel the deep burn in your glutes"

Seriously though, the bike was a deadset joke. If you are going to have a bike in the Crossfit Games then do a long endurance event like a 15km bike ride through the bush, and finish with a run or obstical course or something that is interesting and gets the endurance event out the way. (Road biking is more boring than watching paint dry and I hope HQ NEVER EVER puts this into the Games)
I'm gonna vote for the "deep burn" as the best post yet. Nobody even mentioned it. Hilarious.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #92
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Say what you want, but the "Step Mill" like in this link, will KILL you in 3 minutes flat if you fast enough.....

http://www.amazon.com/StairMaster-St.../dp/B000NZKXNG (wfs)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #93
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Quite the contrary. Boats wouldn't need to be fitted, thus you would only need as many boats as you have competitors in single a heat. They obviously had access to the beach, and the cost of renting a sufficient number of row boats for the day would have been minimal. You could have started with the boats on the beach; the athletes could have been responsible for getting them in the water, rowing them a similar course to the swim and then dragging them back onto the beach. Logistically, it would actually be very easy to execute.
Rowing on a C2 rower is not the same as rowing in a row boat. The movements are completely different... same with kayaking... A C2 rower is meant to mimic the feel of a racing shell/scull designed for crew.

And racing shells do take time to fit, more so than bikes do. All four years in high school, we rarely switched rowing positions due to changing the fitting on the shell.

Rowing on a C2 rower is much easier than setting up a boating event. And setting up a biking event would be much easier than setting up a rowing event.

EDIT: THIS IS JAKE ON MATT'S COMPUTER.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #94
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin Prabhu View Post
Log toss/ Shot put = strength
Softball= skill

This was the 'skills' element, not a strength test.

I actually like that format and I think they should do that for the individuals as well.

None of the major sports events take into account the 'playoffs' scores in the final event- it's all about how you perform in the finals.

Not surprising- he was obviously holding back on the 6min WOD to save up for the final one. He was smiling and winking at the crowd as he did his wallballs in the 6min version.
Someone said it before, thats not a fair comparison. In football for example, you play a game of football in every round of the playoffs. In Crossfit its a different 'game' every round. If you wipe out the previous results before the last round you'll be crowning the person who goes 5,5,5,5,1 over the person who goes 1,1,1,1,2, thats silly. It'd be like crowning the best olympic decathlete based on the winner of the 10th event only. It marginalizes the 9 previous ones (decathlete is 10 right?).

Watching rowing was pretty boring too, but at least when watching someone on a C2 you can see people pull crazy hard and see some work being done. Everytime people got on a watt bike it was like the entire workout stopped and now people are just leisurely pedaling along. They might as well have all stopped to have Tea at the same time. The few, brief moments when someone stood up on the bike to pedal harder got me minorly excited but it never lasted.

Not that I want to sound like a downer, I had a blast at the games, and overall it was awesome. I look forward to next year and hope it stays in my backyard.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #95
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Rowing on a C2 rower is not the same as rowing in a row boat. The movements are completely different... same with kayaking... A C2 rower is meant to mimic the feel of a racing shell/scull designed for crew.

And racing shells do take time to fit, more so than bikes do. All four years in high school, we rarely switched rowing positions due to changing the fitting on the shell.

Rowing on a C2 rower is much easier than setting up a boating event. And setting up a biking event would be much easier than setting up a rowing event.

EDIT: THIS IS JAKE ON MATT'S COMPUTER.
Your points about the complexities of doing a shell/scull event are all valid, and are all reasons why I would opt for a row boat instead. Aside from the logistics of setting up the event, shell/scull rowing requires a lot more skill than most people realize, and (if I'm not mistaken) is usually only done in a straight line on still waters. On the other side, any idiot with a modicum of coordination should be able to get into a row boat, canoe or kayak and navigate a fairly simple course. In the end, the point is to do an event that's "real world" as opposed to a machine simulation.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the C2 or the spin bike. So far, the general complaint about the spin bike has been that it's boring to watch. I'd argue that a lot of the movements used in the Games, rowing included, would be pretty boring for anyone who's not actually a CrossFitter. If you didn't know what toes to bar or wall-ball or double unders were, would they make you stop and look? It's the same with a lot of sports. How many people do you know who watched the Tour de France who aren't avid cyclists? And how about golf? Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry than play it - let alone watch it, but people who are into golf will sit on their *** for hours watching that ****.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 08-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #96
Charles Applin

Profile:

Whoever said they need live scoring had it right.

Here's what they could do: Give each judge a rep counter that remotes to the athletes lane score on the big board. For things like watt bikes and rowers just count the calories or every 100m.

Judge sees a good rep, judge clicks the counter, rep score for the athlete is there for all the crowd to see. Should be easy to modify to work best for the individual events.

You can then have two big scoreboards, one for overall place and one for the event/heat at hand.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #97
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
Your points about the complexities of doing a shell/scull event are all valid, and are all reasons why I would opt for a row boat instead. Aside from the logistics of setting up the event, shell/scull rowing requires a lot more skill than most people realize, and (if I'm not mistaken) is usually only done in a straight line on still waters. On the other side, any idiot with a modicum of coordination should be able to get into a row boat, canoe or kayak and navigate a fairly simple course. In the end, the point is to do an event that's "real world" as opposed to a machine simulation.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the C2 or the spin bike. So far, the general complaint about the spin bike has been that it's boring to watch. I'd argue that a lot of the movements used in the Games, rowing included, would be pretty boring for anyone who's not actually a CrossFitter. If you didn't know what toes to bar or wall-ball or double unders were, would they make you stop and look? It's the same with a lot of sports. How many people do you know who watched the Tour de France who aren't avid cyclists? And how about golf? Personally, I'd rather watch paint dry than play it - let alone watch it, but people who are into golf will sit on their *** for hours watching that ****.
Touche, good sir. I like your argument.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 AM   #98
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Whoever said they need live scoring had it right.

Here's what they could do: Give each judge a rep counter that remotes to the athletes lane score on the big board. For things like watt bikes and rowers just count the calories or every 100m.

Judge sees a good rep, judge clicks the counter, rep score for the athlete is there for all the crowd to see. Should be easy to modify to work best for the individual events.

You can then have two big scoreboards, one for overall place and one for the event/heat at hand.

They did have live scoring in the stadium for the final day.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #99
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

Watt bikes were lame.
If your going to have bikes we should at least use Air Dynes.
Soft ball was great,it separated the athlete from the one dimensional "lifter"
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #100
Greg Dwyer

Profile:

I didn't see the softball throw event. I find it incomprehensible that Spealler only threw it 72'!!!??? That's barely past the pitcher's mound????