CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Neil Khant

Profile:
If I can do full pull ups for a certain part of a workout and then need to go to assisted what is better to do:

Should I do as many full pull up reps as possible and then go to an assisted?

or do assisted all the way through, keeping the assit weight close to the same throughout the WOD?

What is better and why? (I'm sure there are differing opinions on this subject.)

OK, I'm sure this has been discussed before.
I cannot find in search, and yes I am bad at the searches.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Brian Dolan

Profile:
I can only do a couple of unassisted pullups and then I have to go assisted. I've made progress but what I do is as many unassisted as possible, then use the least amount of assist weight I need to do 5-10 and increase the assist weight as I go along as needed. It seems to be working as the amount of help I need as I go along is dropping.

Just my 2 cents...

Later
Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
Neil Khant

Profile:
See I have been doing assisted Pull-ups for a while because I was not able to do almost any unassisted. Then recently when Doing "Lynne" WOD, BW bench and Pullups (Max reps 5 times), I found that I was able to do pull ups at the following level: 9,7,5,4,4 without assistance. I did jumping pull ups to try and get a full 10 each time but that is what I was able to do unassisted.

I am not a huge guy but I do tip the scales at 205 at 5' 10.5". Fat % under 20%, but probably not by that much.

I am liking the improvement, just wondering what people think is the better way to improve more.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Scott Ponte

Profile:
I would say do as Brian suggested. Do as my unassisted you can, then go assisted once you start to fail. I don't have an awesome scientific reason behind it, all I know is it works for me. Starting Crossfit I could only do maybe 3-4 unassisted pullups, now I can do 8 doing the same method.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Neil Khant

Profile:
I just did the muscle up workout. 30 muscle ups, subbed 30 sets of 4 pull ups and 4 dips.

I did as many as I could unassisted and then went to jumping pull ups, where I was pushing off my toes as a boost and pulling up the rest of the way. Then moved to the gravitron machine for the last 5 sets.

I am going to keep that up in that manner until I am given a better suggestion.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
neil, i'm approximately your height and weight and my pullup #'s are similar to yours. when i started 8 months ago, i think i could only do 1 or 2 real pullups. my pullups have improved dramatically but not nearly as much as i would have liked HOWEVER, i haven't concentrated on pullups other than with wod's. like everything else, i feel they will come along over time and i don't worry about it much...everything is truly 'coming along'.

my pullups within workouts have evolved into using no assistance for wods with lower reps such as 'cindy', 'elizabeth', etc. i still have broken sets but even in the last few minutes of 'cindy', i know i can make myself get 5 even if it takes me 3 sets. for wods with massive amounts of pullups, i pretty much do what you're doing and swap to jumping pullups or the gravitron when i have to.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
neil,
i do exactly what you do on my "pull-up" day. my total by the end....100

on almost every othere day i gtg with between 4 and 10 sets of 5. my unassisted pullups(on pull up day) has gone from 5 to 8 (allllmost 9 today) in less then 2 months.

might sound trivial but...i was stuck doing 5 FOR TEN YEARS!!!!
-----------------------

dy try n
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Neil Khant

Profile:
That is good work.

I have made huge increases getting to 9 from just a couple. But I want to keep the momentum. I know I will plateau sooner or later.