CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Rogue R3 Rack

I'm on the verge of buying the R3 and was wondering if anyone has had any success/experience with subbing the standard pull up bars with any of Rogues attachment pullup bars. More specifically, I want to add a single standard bar to the very front of the rack and a skinny/fat bar to the very back of the rack without any additional bars in the middle. I spoke with Rogues support but I'm still a bit confused. Any first hand experience or insight on whether this would work would be appreciated.

Also, how is the overall kipping experience on the R3? I've been trying to find a video of someone utilizing the rack for pullups but haven't found anything. Any links? (I'll be replacing a powertec rack which has a short height and results in feet dragging during pull ups.)

Any other info or opinions on the rack as a whole would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Tim Nakashima

Profile:
Re: Rogue R3 Rack

Structurally it wouldn't be a problem having the bars on the front and rear. And as long as you have it bolted down, it shouldn't budge when kipping.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Tim Squires

Profile:

We'll definitely be bolting it down. When I emailed Rogue I got the following responses...

"You should not move the pullup bar from the location specified but you can still add a single bar to either front or back."

"They need to be in the middle of the rack, that is also for band
attachment. *You could put a single pullup bar on one side if you
wanted to have it out front."

Structurally, why would I need to have the pull up bars in the middle if I instead have one at the front and one at the back; creating a closed cage of sorts.

Will the attachment bars even fit onto the R3 at the front and back? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
John Pickron

Profile:

There are 11 holes on the horizontal braces at the top that can be used to mount pullup bars. The double bar they send you will cover 7 of those holes leaving 2 usable on either side if it is center mounted. You could move this bar over two more holes and then put a single bar on the other side. Then you'd have 3 bars.

You could use the vertical posts and mount bars there, but then you'd be putting a lot of stress on the welds, which I wouldn't do, even though it looks like it could withstand it.

r-3 pullups/kipping
I'm 6'1" and can reach up and fully wrap my hand around the bars with my feet flat on the ground-no shoes. While it is fine for pullups, I use it as my secondary station and have my rings in there. My primary pullup station is a P-4 (30inch-mounted on door frame). I have to jump 6 inches to get up on this one...I'd recommend adding a separate pullup bar versus trying to get 2 on the rack. If you were to bring your legs up at all you'll end up kicking anyone working on the other side.

My .02--Don't F with a good thing. Add a wall/ceiling mount pullup bar, an xtra set of J-cups, and bolt the R-3 in the middle of a dual sided lifting platform, so two people can work on either side or you can solo in the cage...

Have fun it is an awesome rack, but I use my Pullup bar and lift off the floor more than I thought I would.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
Structurally, why would I need to have the pull up bars in the middle if I instead have one at the front and one at the back; creating a closed cage of sorts.
Basically, the easiest answer is because they said so.

If you put it together a different way, and the equipment fails, it won't be their fault. If you put it together a different way, and someone gets injured when the equipment fails, then...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Tim Squires

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I'll be leaving the bars as they are.