CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Jason Kassab

Profile:
I apologize in advance, I am new to these execises, and need clarification on the Hang Power Clean.

I wantched the demo videos here:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Todays workout (doing them a day behind) includes the Hang Power Clean. In the video the young lady jumps during the movement. I do not have sound on my pc and maybe this was covered in the audio. If it was I apologize.

My question is this: Within my own ability, do I attempt the jump, or is that just a result of her momentum (sp?)? Is the jump proper form?

Thank you in advance!

Jason
Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Sage (the young lady in the video) is doing a "donkey kick". Some Oly coaches teach the donkey kick as a way of getting their lifters to actively "plant" their feet as they come out from the starting position. Check out this w/f safe video of a true Oly lifting freak. If your PC had sound, you'd hear his feet hitting the ground solidly. You won't see the the donkey kick. If doing the kick helps you stomp your feet, go for it. It's not however a prerequisite for doing the movement properly. BTW, as watch the video, have some tissues ready to wipe away your tears. You'll really feel inadequate. :crybaby0:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xVB_rQFSsEg
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
John, please don't post vids like that. Pyrros makes me feel VERY inadequate.....:crybaby0:

Jason, in the hang power clean the idea is to let the bar hang to just below the knee and then explosively extend + shrug then catch the weight on the shoulders.

At the same time the feet should move from roughly under the hips to under the shoulders butyou don;t have to jump off the ground and in fact as the weights get heavier a big jump is bad form and almost impossible.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #4

Profile:

john -

the donkey kick is definitely not taught (except possibly by an inept coach) - it's sometimes an unfortunate habit lifters develop that can be hard to break. there are some high ranking american lifters who get away with it fairly well (e.g. aimee anaya, lance frye), but few if any from other countries (who kick our ). encouraging a lifter to stomp is a little dicey because some do consider it necessary to raise the feet excessively to do so--the stomp is really just an attempt to make the lifter reposition the feet as quickly as possible. some of the best lifters out there do it ninja style, i.e. very quietly, because the feet hardly come off the floor.

jason -

the 'jump' idea is simply an analogy to attempt to get new lifters to rely on aggressive leg and hip extension to lift the barbell - the idea is to get the bar as high off the platform without elevating the body any more than necessary for two primary reasons - 1, that body has to get itself under the barbell with a violent 3rd pull, made only more difficult the higher said body starts, and 2, the more time off the platform means the more time to move and become unstable.

so basically, the only reason a lifter's feet really need to come off the platform is to re-set them into the receiving, i.e. squat stance from the pulling stance. the moment they come off, that lifter needs to be pulling him/herself under the bar as quickly as possible. 'floating' is a very bad habit and a great way to retard progress.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ninja style!

Love it! I'm going to use that next time i'm teaching my high school kids to do cleans
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Jerry Berg

Profile:

what are some ways to get rid of the donkey kick? not that I do it or anything, but i have a friend, who ummm, he does it. a lot.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #7

Profile:

my prefered method of curing the donkey kick is to stand aside the lifter with a length of PVC, wood or any other thin, hard object. each time they kick, you slap them in the backs of the calves. they will learn.

seriously, it's a tough habit to break. try practicing just pulls while focusing on keeping the legs long and feet close to the ground, tall snatches/cleans to develop and aggressive 3rd pull and confidence that you can make it under the bar without jumping through the ceiling first. and, most important, STOP DOING IT. sounds silly, but that is the single best coaching point available. that should be your throught process before each lift - 'do not kick.' it will help over time--remember, any motor learning takes time, and it typically takes more time to change a a small part of a well-ingrained complex pattern than to learn an entirely new one. be patient and be commited.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #8

Profile:

forgot to mention one more thing - before each lift, perform a jump - just dip into the power position and jump back up, but DO NOT lift your feet - you should be in the air as straight as an arrow. do 1-3 right before you lift.}
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
Jerry Berg

Profile:

thanks greg, i kind of thought it was one of those things that you just have to stop doing. there aren't any secrets, i just need to knock it off. I feel like i'm loosing power in the movement by kicking my feet back.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Jason Kassab

Profile:
Thank You all for your help. I understand now.

Respectfully,

Jason