CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hi guys!

I'm new to CrossFit, but I'm determined to make it stick, and I'm enjoying the work, too.

Yesterday, I ran into a question you might be able to help me with:

I train with my own stuff, and I have no rowing machine. Not having a rowing machine, I substituted rowing with SDHPs - but since I only have one barbell rod, I also decided to do them with dumbells instead of barbells. (Pulling plates on and off my barbell seemed like it would defeat the purpose of the WOD!)

Was that sound reasoning? And if so, do I just put haöf the rx'd weight on each dumbell? (By the time I'd downed 43 reps at 10 kilos per dumbell on my first cycle, I thought I was going to die - but I expect that was just newbie exhaustion!)

That leads to another question, though: Am I going to need a second barbell anyway?

Peace,

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Sounds like you did just fine, however if it was me I'd rather have done the SDHP's with the barbell and done the thrusters with the the dumbbells.

Just remember the key to the SDHP is hip snap, it's all about driving your hips to elevate that bar up there. Rather than doing a sumo deadlift into a upright row.

I'd hold off on buying a second barbell, there are plenty of better things to spend your money on. You should just modify the WOD's as best you can while maintaining the stimulus of the WOD.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:09 AM   #3
Mike Gray

Profile:
Thanks for the encouragement and tips, Allen!

One question: to do thrusters with the dumbells should I just put half the weight on each dumbell or should a reduce a tad?

This is driffting a bit OT, but:

This afternoon I'm going to see about a 9K medicine ball, some rope, some PVC to make rings and some plywood to make boxes.

Or is there something else you would particularly recommend spending money on (or time building)? I already have a barbell rod, about 200K worth of weights and a (rather useless) weight bench. There's a swingset outside where I can do good pullups and dips.

Peace,

Mike
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I'd go with half and then round down, that's just me. So if it called for a 95# barbell thruster, I'd end up going with 45# DB's.

Sounds good, you have a barbell, weights, and a place to do pullups and dips. Perhaps a sled to do some dragging? Sandbag is great for just about everything.

Ross Enamait has great ideas for easy to do at home gym equipment.

Link W/F safe:
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html