CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Mitch Jensen

Profile:
How many days on versus off?

I'm trying to tailor my workouts to my schedule....I had been doing 5 days on (M-F)....with Saturday and Sunday off. Sometimes throw a workout in on Saturday.

Would it be better to scale that back...or keep it as it is.
If my goal were to gain mass/strength, would I workout different days than if my goal were to just become more fit and maintain?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Thom Knapp

Profile:
Re: How many days on versus off?

Do you get really sore at the beginning of the week?

When I first started CF I did a similar schedule and I was getting crushed at the beginning of the week... I think the two days off was making me soft.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Ed Walto

Profile:

Are there any obligations that are keeping you from working out on the weekends?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

The 3 on 1 off prescription from CF.com was studied pretty hard. They didn't just pick arbitrary numbers. Glassman found that on the 4th day intensity tended to drop.
That being said, listen to your body. I generally go 3 on 1 off, but sometimes 2 on, sometimes 5 on, and as high as 12 on. But I also do strength + metcon, and sometimes a little more. I couldn't handle that amount of volume when I was starting but you work up to it.
Its all about how your feeling. If you're tired and sluggish you need rest.

My recommendation would be take a day off in the middle.
Either Wednesday or Thursday, and try to keep the Saturday WOD.

So, 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off.

If your goal is more strength/mass then stay away from the long metcons. Lift heavy, keep the metcons nice and short. If its all around fitness, mix it up. Maintaining means staying the same all the time.....thats no fun! The body is incredibly adaptable, and generally either getting better or getting worse.

Last edited by Jay Rhodes : 11-30-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

Thanks guys for the advice.

Jay you have a message.

What keeps me from working out on the weekends? My kids.... I'd much rather play with my 2 and 5 year old....but sometimes they can come to the gym with me.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Jensen View Post
If my goal were to gain mass/strength, would I workout different days than if my goal were to just become more fit and maintain?
I like to lift heavy stuff on Friday & Saturday nights. It's sort of a celebration of the week being over and then I know I can go out to dinner and eat more than usual and sleep in more than usual to recover. I also noticed that this helps with a problem I'd have of gaining weight on the weekends and then spending all week losing it again.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Jensen View Post
What keeps me from working out on the weekends? My kids.... I'd much rather play with my 2 and 5 year old....but sometimes they can come to the gym with me.
You have chosen wisely. Children > gym.

I've been a CF trainer for 2+ years, and the people I see make the best long term gains are those that train 3-4x (and sometime 5x) a week, every week.

Is this ideal for everyone? No, not at all. But if you are only CFing to get into better shape, and not because your job/career/sport requires you to be fitter, you'll do well hitting 3-5 days a week hard, and resting when you need to.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
I've been a CF trainer for 2+ years, and the people I see make the best long term gains are those that train 3-4x (and sometime 5x) a week, every week.
I don't think that's true of just Crossfit, either. I've been going to aikido classes 3-4x per week for many years now. I've outlasted many many people who were "more dedicated" in the beginning. They might have gotten to a given rank faster, but then they quit, and stopped progressing. Unless you have a time-limited goal, a schedule that's sustainable for the long term will always beat one that isn't.

Katherine
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I couldn't agree more, Katherine.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

I'm a bit fan of just listening to your body. My schedule is generally set around the 5 on and 2 off. I generally have 2-3hrs in the morning to train so ill get some good stretching and recovery work in there after a strength workout and usually a short to medium metcon. However I train teach and train Krav Maga most days a week and sometimes i just need more time off. If i feel I cant competitively go for a PR I generally wont train or spend that time stretching ect.