CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Sam Brunnings

Profile:
Creatine use?

I've been doing CrossFit for 6 months now, and have been on paleo style diet for 3 months. I've seen awesome changes in trimming body fat and gaining muscle strength. I've also heard though that many many athletes and crossfitters use creatine.

Is that true? Any advice for me?

I'm thinking about starting up on creatine in the next few weeks just to see what exactly it does to my body.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Creatine use?

People claim it helps with recovery. Forgot the loading stuff, just take 5 grams a day. I take it in the morning on non-lift days and after lifting on those days.

YMMV
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

It gave me diarrhea. Watch out for that.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Josh Paschedag

Profile:

In terms of a more useful reply (the above is certainly useful knowledge though...), I think you will only see creatine's effects if you are doing strength training or sprint similar high intensity, phosphagen pathway based training. Since it essentially is used to produce more ATP, you won't get much effect out of it if you are only doing CF WODs. Some people even dispute its effect on everything but maximal numbers.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

This board is just so damn handy. In case you didn't want to use the search function (conveniently located at the top of the forum), if you look below this thread there is a box that says "Similar Threads"

This horse has been beat to death many, many times on this and other forums. See those other threads for all the enlightening discussion.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Sam Brunnings

Profile:

Thanks for the help Nic. I did look through those and other responses online. None of which I found helpful.

I'm looking for advice from other CrossFit athletes on how creatine effects your strength, weight, etc, and how that adversely effects WOD times and performance.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
Tony Sutton

Profile:

I have found my greatest gains with an solid diet. I gradually increased my food intake until I felt satisfied and performed well.

I lift at the ymca, and people ask me what supplements I take. I usually respond with, "Whole milk and sweet potatoes."
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Now I'm curious what all the creatine talk has been about if NOT about "how creatine effects your strength, weight, etc, and how that adversely effects WOD times and performance."
Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
I have found my greatest gains with an solid diet. I gradually increased my food intake until I felt satisfied and performed well.

I lift at the ymca, and people ask me what supplements I take. I usually respond with, "Whole milk and sweet potatoes."
lol. great answer
Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Ralston Baker

Profile:

Creatine for performance sake helps only about 75% of people... 25% are non responders. However, it does provide you with many other benefits. I use it, and have had great results..

Robb Wolf stated, "I REALLY like Creatine.... Beyond its performance enhancing characteristics (of which ~25% of the populations are non-responders) Creatine has some interesting properties like decreasing oxidative damage (both from exercise and eschemia/reperfusion injury) and it decreases circulating cortisol levels and may increase growth hormone release if taken before bed. Not bad stuff when you consider it is nearly cheap as dirt!

Regarding dosages I would stick with an inexpensive monohydrate and go anywhere form 5-10g per day. As I mentioned above taking it prior to bed may be good with regards to enhancing growth hormone release. I do not see a need to load or take it with some kind of insulin spikker. When you run out of a bottle maybe wait a week before starting the next one. Buy your Creatine in kilo sizes if possible to ensure freshness as it will hydrolyze if exposed to air for too long."
M/ 26/ 5'11/ 190lbs Fran:2:11 Squat (High Bar):500 C&J:356# Snatch: 264# FSquat:420 Grace: 1:38