CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:
Squat/Power Clean Critique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV-Gg3hYSg (wfs) last set of squats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w18wmIbp8eM (wfs) extra squat rep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltYFgb13ASM (wfs) pcleans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A86STv6BYrs (wfs) pcleans as well.

Here's a few videos of myself squatting and power cleaning. The first one is the last set of a 3x5 with 130 for SS. I decided to do one more rep after the set with my toes pointed out a bit more and it seemed to let me get a bit deeper with a bit less "butt wink". I know the depth is a bit shallow or just parallel on some, but I am working on flexibility as quickly as possible. I feel like I'm still favoring my right side a bit as well due to some quite a bit of atrophy in my left leg after injury.

The other two are power cleans with 110. Only thing I could really see is I think I'm bending my arms too early?

Anything tips, pointers or "cues" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:
Re: Squat/Power Clean Critique

So no responses means no one sees anything wrong, right?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

On the power cleans the positioning is okay to pretty good, would prefer to see the hips lower on the start. I don't see much of an early arm bend. Bigger issue is that the finish of the second pull and the pull-under are way too slow and anemic. I know the weight is light but there needs to be more pop on the pull and a bigger sense of urgency to get under the bar.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Andrew Carnovale

Profile:

With the squat there's obviously the issue of you not getting deep enough (hip crease below the knee bend, as Rip says in SS). Other than that it seemed like a good squat. Just keep the mental cue of "knees out!" and you should see some improvement. As far as the clean goes I think you might benefit from increasing the weight some. As Lincoln said your final pull is a bit lacking in it's jump. One cue that has always helped me is actually think "jump!" before executing the final pull. It's hard to get the feel sometimes with a light weight so try challenging yourself a bit. You'll be able to feel the amount of explosiveness you need to get the weight up. Hope this all helps.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Okay thanks for the feedback. I am currently working on depth by basically just doing a lot of stretching and foam rolling. Basically just gonna take some time till I get a bit deeper as far as flexibility allows.

I'll try to work on the suggestions with the power cleans and really focus on the cues. I'm on SS right now so I'm not sure if it would be wise to jump the weight up too high too fast. I think within then next 3-5 power clean workouts the weight should start getting heavy enough to allow me more pull under.

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

Alright, time for a progress check. My weight as well as the weight on the bar has been steadily increasing throughout the SS program so far. Here's an updated squat and power clean video.

wfs 210lbs second set of the 3x5 squats
wfs 150lbs fifth set of 5x3 of power cleans

With the squats I still don't quite hit the depth I'd like but I feel there has been some improvement. I have trouble keeping the bar on the shoulders properly and can't tell if I just don't have enough meat on my back yet or I'm not pulling back tight enough. It really tries to roll down so I'm guessing I just need to pin it to my back harder.

With the power cleans I feel like I've lowered my hips in the starting position considerably. Seems to give better glute/hip activation and just seems like I'm a bit stronger that way.

Let me know what you all think, thanks for any hints/tips/cues in advance.