CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Anthony Zarka

Profile:
Prowler sled

Hey guys, first post on crossfit. I am just back from being stationed in Iraq. Been doing a modified crossfit workout there for the last year (you would be shocked how many people use crossfit in the military!!). I am amazed at the core strength that I have developed.
I have been looking at adding a Prowler Sled to my workout equipment. What are the thoughts about using a sled pushing regimen in Crossfit?
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Rich Sarcomo

Profile:
Re: Prowler sled

I've always wondered why sled dragging and Prowler pushing (and to a lesser extent sand bag carrying) which are all very popular in the powerlifting community for GPP don't seem to be used as much for Crossfitting.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sarcomo View Post
I've always wondered why sled dragging and Prowler pushing (and to a lesser extent sand bag carrying) which are all very popular in the powerlifting community for GPP don't seem to be used as much for Crossfitting.

those kind of movements come up once in awhile on the main page, but i agree probably not enough. i think sled dragging would be a great addition into any metcon program.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Joey Powell

Profile:

We have 3 Prowlers. I have personally watched Coach Glassman train a couple of Main site "Fire-Breathers" with ours a few months ago.

We use them as we do rowers or running for Met-cons and as a Cash-Out.

For workouts you need to be able to measure distance in 10m intervals or so to be useful how we do CrossFit with time interval workouts.

The workout Coach used a Prowler, he pitted the athletes against each other. One would push the Prowler and the other would do Pull-ups. then they would swap when the one athlete reached the correct number of Pull-ups.

50-40-30-20-10 Pull-ups swapped with Prowler.

The athlete on the prowler would push for distance. The winner pushed the prowler the farthest...total during his five intervals. The Parking lot had breaks in the concrete every 30ft, so the most total lines crossed won.

Great tool.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Sled rocks and Joey's advice is sound.

Anthony, I looked at the Prowler for a year, finally had a buddy build me one for 100 bucks. Works very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sled.jpg
Views:	52261
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	4910  
Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Rich Sarcomo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
those kind of movements come up once in awhile on the main page, but i agree probably not enough. i think sled dragging would be a great addition into any metcon program.
It is a great metcon, and it's also highly restorative from an injury prehab/rehab and recuperation standpoint because it's zero impact and there is no eccentric (negative) component to the movement.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Anthony Zarka

Profile:

Rich, I actually did alot of sand bag carrying as a workout in Iraq. We filled a large trashbag, duct taped it, then put it in an A-bag. It is a very hard workout. The unbalanced load, and shifting sand really increased grip and core strength.

Joey,
Thanks for the sled workout info. I am really interested in the sled now. The youtube videos that I have seen make it look like an absolutely brutal workout.

Jay,
Thanks for the home-made idea . The Prowler is really expensive. Are there any other sled makers, or cheaper alternatives?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Sled rocks and Joey's advice is sound.

Anthony, I looked at the Prowler for a year, finally had a buddy build me one for 100 bucks. Works very well.
I personally used Jay's and can attest that it ..well...what am I allowed to say... hurts!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Zarka View Post
Jay,
Thanks for the home-made idea . The Prowler is really expensive. Are there any other sled makers, or cheaper alternatives?
No, you either make your own, or buy the Prowler, now get it done. BTW, did I tell you that a sled is also a chick magnet. Camille drove hours to hang out with sweaty guys and girls just to push the sled around, along with other assorted fun filled activities.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

He's right! I even brought another chick with me.