CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
jonathan stewart

Profile:
lower carb than zone

so I was following paleo zone, about 21 blocks, 2x fat, problem besides being very tired, was poor recovery from workouts. the only non paleo food I ate was probably too much fruit, and some sweet potato, so I could get all my blocks.( 20 cups of lettuce with dinner would have been a tad much). I noticed I have more energy and less soreness when I eat very low carb( like real paleo, higher fat too, little fruit, and NO starch) but this seems contrary to what everyone says( carbs to workout right). Has anyone else experienced this, I am just starting to go more paleo than zone( very low carb, high fat, and way more protein) and felt better almost immediately. Any insight, if not I guess I will blackbox myself and report to you all how it worked out.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Jenna Dodge

Profile:
Re: lower carb than zone

Nutrition is soooooooo personal. Many will agree that the zone is too high-carb. Some will say that it's too low-carb. If you like eating lower carb, then go for it, and it sounds like that's what you like to do!

I think I agree with you. I just recently was going to try zone again, but I feel like I have to shove carbs down my pie hole, and I'd so much rather eat nuts.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Personally, I'm like you and feel like I function better on low carb. Especially anabolic diet-style with a 24-36 carb up period weekly.

If you've recently gone to very low carb, watch out. You might well feel great for several days and then have a really bad day, especially in the gym. Usually just a one-day thing though.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I am the same way man. I tried the zone for a week and it was way too many carbs. Switched to paleo and ate like half the amount of carbs than the zone prescribes and felt great. I agree with Jeff though, it does take a couple weeks to get fully adapted. For long metcons (>20mins), I have a banana PWO because it helps alot with recovery (for me at least). Just make sure to replenish muscle glycogen in between workouts.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
jonathan stewart

Profile:

awesome i am excited about it, because I havent seen anyone post on here about this, thank you for all your replies
Old 02-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
James Compora

Profile:

Just going to post this in your thread jon, hope you dont mind. If one wanted to do the zone but wanted to get rid of some of the carbs; I know robb wolf says 3 fat to 1 carb. But what if you are following a hybrid style program or something with alot of olympic lifting? Could you do something like 2 fat and 1 protein to replace that carb? Main idea is i want to add a bit more protein and less carbs. I like the block system or i wouldnt be using the zone. Thanks in advanced
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I fully agree with you. As soon as I started Zoning my recovery went completely out the window. I was always too sore to feel like working out. After about three weeks of going back to just paleo with high protein high fat and only about 20 % of my Macros coming from carbs I feel like a monster and I'm starting to charge through my workouts again.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Compora View Post
Just going to post this in your thread jon, hope you dont mind. If one wanted to do the zone but wanted to get rid of some of the carbs; I know robb wolf says 3 fat to 1 carb. But what if you are following a hybrid style program or something with alot of olympic lifting? Could you do something like 2 fat and 1 protein to replace that carb? Main idea is i want to add a bit more protein and less carbs. I like the block system or i wouldnt be using the zone. Thanks in advanced
James, my suggestion would be "black box it." Take exactly what you're asking, do it for a few weeks and see how it works. What works for us might not work for you and vice-versa. Plus, most on these boards who are truly following a low carb diet don't use with the block system.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
James Compora

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff S Johnson View Post
James, my suggestion would be "black box it." Take exactly what you're asking, do it for a few weeks and see how it works. What works for us might not work for you and vice-versa. Plus, most on these boards who are truly following a low carb diet don't use with the block system.
Thats true, i just know that the 3 Fat for 1 Carb is to keep it in the same coloric range. At least from what i have read. Thats why i wanted to know if anyone knew of a way, Ill look into it and see what happens. Thanks Jeff
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
Andy Gann

Profile:

I do better on a plan like this as well. I have been low-carbing for a little over a month. I am not a carb nazi or anything but most days I stay around 65 g carb and I don't regulate the rest. I have noticed a touch of leaning out at the love handles (the last little bit I have left) and my metcon performance has been awesome.

In the beginning - I was really low carb, like 10 - 20 g per day. After a couple of days where I did well, I had one workout where I totally crashed. I believe it was:

Row 1000 M
25 burpees

Row 750 M
50 burpees

Row 500 M
75 burpees

This was the first WOD since I have started CF that I actually had to lay down on the ground before completing ... and it happened twice.

Since, I have upped the carbs to around 65 g per day. Basically, Low GI veggies, little fruit, no starch or sugar (and I cheat once or twice a week) and have been flying.